No. of Recommendations: 0
ptheland asks,

But recent events have got me thinking. What is a SWR for a portfolio that suffers a significant loss in the year before retirement? Can you base your withdrawals on the value of the portfolio just before retirement? What would that rate look like? </b?

To address that paradox, you'd have to base your SWR on your portfolio's highest value before the big drop.

This recent article by Michael Kitces also address the problem.

http://www.kitces.com/assets/pdfs/Kitces_Report_May_2008.pdf......

intercst

Wow. And your opinion is ... ?

The biggest problem I see is how you determine valuation. In this case it's a LOT easier to figure PE backtesting than it than it is to figure it out now, with a recession that may draw valuations down. In addition, with sizable parts of allocation devoted to international funds, how do we backtest that?

For a "bulletproof" SAFE withdrawal rate under worst case scenario's I still like your "simpler" data better for now. Fewer variables to "fudge." I think you're saying "Go back a year and figure it for 29 years rather than 30" ... in effect?" It may cost .75 to 1.75% per year but a) what is safety worth, and b) you have other methods of dealing with that withdrawal rate and perhaps increasing it off of your original data, over on your website. But I'd still like your opinion.

Having said that this is an extremely interesting study. Thank you!

Hockeypop
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement