Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121185  
Subject: Publicly-traded partnership info - IRA Date: 2/29/2008 1:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My son and I own shares of FGP which is a publicly-traded limitd partnership in our IRAs. Should we be doing anything with the information on the K-1s we receive each year ? Will we need that information in the future ?

thanks
rad
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99151 of 121185
Subject: Re: Publicly-traded partnership info - IRA Date: 2/29/2008 6:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My son and I own shares of FGP which is a publicly-traded limitd partnership in our IRAs. Should we be doing anything with the information on the K-1s we receive each year ? Will we need that information in the future ?

Be very careful. If either of you should generate more than $1000 in UBI within your IRA, the IRA will have to file a 990-T return and pay tax. Your K-1 should disclose how much UBI was generated. You might want to retain this in case of any future questions from the IRS.

Ira

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99153 of 121185
Subject: Re: Publicly-traded partnership info - IRA Date: 2/29/2008 6:37 PM
Recommendations: 0
Be very careful. If either of you should generate more than $1000 in UBI within your IRA, the IRA will have to file a 990-T return and pay tax. Your K-1 should disclose how much UBI was generated. You might want to retain this in case of any future questions from the IRS.

I have no idea what UBI stands for. When I bought it, I thought I was just buying stock in a gas company. I have carefully looked over the K-1 and still found nothing so I'd appreciate any clues to what UBI stands for.

thanks
rad

Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99155 of 121185
Subject: Re: Publicly-traded partnership info - IRA Date: 2/29/2008 7:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
UBI - Unrelated Business Income

Hohum

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99162 of 121185
Subject: Re: Publicly-traded partnership info - IRA Date: 3/1/2008 3:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
UBI - Unrelated Business Income

It's reported on the partnership K-1 in Box 20, Code "V".

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement