Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8072  
Subject: Re: I have a bug to report and a complaint Date: 8/25/2006 10:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Puck,

We may at some point enable picking of microcaps (MicroCAPS?), but for now we're staying focused on the most consequential, liquid -- and in many cases, legitimate -- businesses in America. I understand that there are some fine companies worth less than $100 million traded on the public exchanges, and it does indeed sound like you've named a few. When we allow you to blog your stocks on your CAPS page (ooooops! wait! did I just give away one of our future features?!), you will be absolutely welcomed to write at length about your favorite companies, which sound like they're well-run small banks that receive little national recognition.

But there are also many ridiculous, fly-by-night, and/or dodgy microcap stocks, too. Were we at this stage to include them in CAPS, I fear that the tool would be used by those who like to ramp or manipulate penny stocks. It's the same thinking that has always kept Fool Community discussion boards focused on the same parameters -- and I think part of the reason we are considered the great online financial community that we are together is rooted in this decision to exclude discussion of rinky-dink stocks and thereby lose the interest of people who inhabit discussion boards to pump and dump them.

At this stage of CAPS, anyway, I think the service and most of those who use it are better served to focus on the thousands and thousands of stocks that do have market caps of $100 million and over. I am conscious that this decision will not be popular with every person. But I also believe that, take it all in all, it's in the best interests of CAPS to do it -- or at least start it -- as we are.

Having sat down to talk CAPS with two of the five SEC commissioners in the past three days, I can tell you that they were very positively encouraged by this aspect of CAPS (among others!). ;)

Please do understand that we may offer microcaps in CAPS in future, or a CAPS version tweaked for microcaps. Thank you for your very well-stated opinion on this subject. And I of course hope you'll greatly enjoy the things that CAPS is, even if you're tempted to decry something that CAPS is not.

Foolishly,

David Gardner
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement