No. of Recommendations: 0

While you do need real estate to run a vacation rental, the IRS seems to be increasingly auditing these businesses and insisting that they be declared on schedule C not E, requiring payment of SS and other taxes as well. Much of the difference in requirements seems to hinge on how long the property is rented. If the average rental, number of days rented/number of distinct visits, is less than 7 days, and you offer things like linens or other goods/services, then they lean towards schedule C. I've gotten this from those who have been audited, rather than something I can link.

As for a tax book, I like this one: Don't remember their touching the need for schedule C, but great on telling you how to document expenses. If you don't do it the right way, they will be disallowed.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.