UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4332  
Subject: Re: My premiums up 25% Date: 1/20/2013 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
PuddinHead42

I'm indeed sorry for the rise in your health care premiums. I think insurance companies are taking advantage of us. My wife' long-term care policy is also rising 25%, but they give us several options if we do not like it, including refunding all her payments so far and giving up the policy.

But as to mental health, I think there may be more checks in Medicare than you or I know about (http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2000/1100/p15.html). My wife has had a stroke and was getting speech therapy, there were monthly reports filed on her progress, and it had to be renewed and her doctor had to say it was necessary. After the 10 visits, she did get an extension for 10 more visits but that was it. In the new year, she was able to do this again. Thus her treatment was not continuous. Her speech has declined since the last treatment. Of course, I don't really know if she would have improved with the treatment, but it did seem to help. I hope that if she has some serious problem she can tell me about it, but this is by no means certain.

When I took physical therapy after my hip replacement, again reports on my progress had to be filed monthly and again it had to be renewed after which I was told I "graduated," although I could walk up stairs step after step (rather than one step at time with the strong leg) only with difficulty and holding onto a railing. Unfortunately I had a lot of muscle wasting in the leg before the operation.

Before I turned 65 and got Medicare, my health plan covered 20 visits to a chiropractor a year, but after I got Medicare as my primary, these were no longer reimbursed, except for special cases (subluxation of the spine): http://stopcontinentaldrift.blogspot.com/2011/05/medicare-ra...

Anything deemed to be cosmetic surgery probably will not be covered by Medicare and you might be surprised at what they call cosmetic surgery in some cases: http://stopcontinentaldrift.blogspot.com/2011/05/medicare-ra...

The above is to show that there are checks in the Medicare system although I agree that Medicare gets ripped off. One doctor trimmed the scab on my wife's leg and filed it as surgery, for example. But it is not for lack of trying by Medicare to limit costs.

brucedoe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement