Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RAM11 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Purchase of Bond Date: 7/23/2001 1:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Having read the Fool information about the purchase of a bond, I decided the thing for me is an I-bond as a place for money instead of a savings account. BUT, I am somewhat puzzled, having decided to purchase on the internet, by the disclaimer that even if parked in an I-Bond for say, 1 year, there appeared something to the effect that a penalty will be incurred if the bond is sold before 5 years. Can anyone explain this?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121 of 294
Subject: Re: Purchase of Bond Date: 7/24/2001 3:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, RAM11!

You may get more responses in the "Bonds" board:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100135

For Retirement questions, ask on the "Retirement Investing" board:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100154

A US Savings Bond pays interest according to a set formula. The formula is always the same but some of the parameters in the formula may differ. For Series E/EE bonds, the interest rate is based on the rates on Treasury securities; for series I bonds the interest rate is based on the inflation rate. [Series H/HH bonds are different beasts in that they throw off income regularly and have a completely fixed rate.]

However, to cover the cost of accepting the money, issuing the bond, etc. the government charges a 3 month interest penalty. For instance if you cash it in after 1 year, you only get 9 months worth of interest. If you cash it in after 4 years and 3 months, you only get 4 years worth of interest.

Once you get to 5 years the penalty disappears.

There are some credit card tricks you can use to counteract the 3 month penalty.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement