UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75636  
Subject: Purchasing I bonds and other stuff. Date: 7/22/2010 2:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can I purchase these through Vanguard or must I purchase them from the government treasury web site? I would like to use retirement (401k, Roth, Conventional IRA) money to purchase some of these and hold them in my tax free/deferred accounts too. My current treasury account is NOT a retirement account, so would I need to open a separate account for this?

Also if I'm expecting high inflation should I eschew bond funds and concentrate on directly holding high-yield bonds (after the interest rates rise)?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67351 of 75636
Subject: Re: Purchasing I bonds and other stuff. Date: 7/22/2010 5:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Jim2B asked:

"Can I purchase these through Vanguard or must I purchase them from the government treasury web site? I would like to use retirement (401k, Roth, Conventional IRA) money to purchase some of these and hold them in my tax free/deferred accounts too. My current treasury account is NOT a retirement account, so would I need to open a separate account for this?

Also if I'm expecting high inflation should I eschew bond funds and concentrate on directly holding high-yield bonds (after the interest rates rise)?"

AFAIK you cannot buy I Bonds through Vanguard. Other stuff, yes. Also, AFAIK Treasury Direct will not take tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs.

To hedge against unexpected inflation, you might consider Treasury Inflation Protected Securities, which you can buy through Vanguard or Treasury Direct ... AND ... in your tax deferred account.

-drip

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67352 of 75636
Subject: Re: Purchasing I bonds and other stuff. Date: 7/22/2010 6:15 PM
...Treasury Inflation Protected Securities..

Ask if you don't know why a TIPS mutual fund investment is much different that owning individual TIPS bonds.

Because of the way TIPS are taxed, it is sometimes recommended to hold them in a Roth account if possible.

Greg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement