UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FoolishCop Big gold star, 5000 posts Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37123  
Subject: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 11:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
I was reading "Organizing for Dummies" by Eileen Roth when I came across the suggestion to keep your jewelry out on the dresser, but in jewelry boxes. Alternatively, she recommends storing it in your dresser drawers.

While it's great for convenience, it's lousy for protecting them from burglars. One of the standard M.O.'s of a professional burglar is to kick in the front door, run right to the master bedroom, and take all the valuables (jewelry, money, etc.). They then turn and flee. They're gone before the alarm company (if you have one) has even finished dialing the police department.

Jewelry, especially expensive items, should be stored in a safe (or a safe deposit box at a bank). A wall safe or floor safe is preferred. Those small fireproof safes are good only for protecting stuff from fires, not burglars. The burglar will just pick the safe up and carry it away.

When a call for a burglary comes in I can easily picture what the scene will look like before I even get there: the front door will be kicked open (maybe a window will have been forced instead) and nothing will be touched from the first floor on up to the master bedroom. Not the entertainment room with all the fancy electronic equipment; not the kids bedrooms; just the master bedroom, and it will be trashed!

Drawers will be pulled out and dumped on the floor, clothes will be strewn about, and mattresses will be overturned. Each and every time, almost without fail. Because everyone keeps their valuables in the bedroom.

If you have valuables, store them someplace else--anyplace else! Just don't store them in your bedroom. If your house is burgled, you'll still have the mess to clean up, to be sure, but your valuables will still be safe.

Thanks.</rant>

Rich

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8048 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 11:23 AM
Recommendations: 0
I was reading "Organizing for Dummies" by Eileen Roth when I came across the suggestion to keep your jewelry out on the dresser, but in jewelry boxes. Alternatively, she recommends storing it in your dresser drawers.

While it's great for convenience, it's lousy for protecting them from burglars.

You have valuable jewlery? Why?

When I was burgled, they took some of my jewlery. I have to laugh thinking of their reaction when they tried to fence it and found out none of it was worth the effort.

At least they were smart enough to open the Christmas presents and see that none of them were fence-able. Canned salmon, anyone? Socks?

My neighbors were lucky. Most of them were poor blue-collar working stiffs and I was the only person on the block rich enough to afford a gardener. It probably would have been a tragedy if the bad guys had picked a different house.

Vickifool

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8049 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 11:38 AM
When a call for a burglary comes in I can easily picture what the scene will look like before I even get there: the front door will be kicked open (maybe a window will have been forced instead) and nothing will be touched from the first floor on up to the master bedroom.

You just made me realize another advantage to having a first floor master bedroom just off the kitchen.

Weird placement, but if they come in the first door and head upstairs, they won't find me or my jewelry. (And the previous owners had a ADD kid so they had a real lock on the master beroom to keep him out. I plan to lock it in the evenings. Extra protection for me at night.)

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8050 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 12:33 PM
"When a call for a burglary comes in I can easily picture what the scene will look like before I even get there: the front door will be kicked open (maybe a window will have been forced instead) and nothing will be touched from the first floor on up to the master bedroom. Not the entertainment room with all the fancy electronic equipment; not the kids bedrooms; just the master bedroom, and it will be trashed!"

Boy would those burglars be dissappointed if they broke into my house.

Stockbuyer2

Author: Kasuma724 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8051 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<When a call for a burglary comes in I can easily picture what the scene will look like before I even get there: the front door will be kicked open (maybe a window will have been forced instead) and nothing will be touched from the first floor on up to the master bedroom. Not the entertainment room with all the fancy electronic equipment; not the kids bedrooms; just the master bedroom, and it will be trashed!">>

Gee.. .that's how my bedroom looks most of the time... I wonder if I've been burgled and just haven't realized it yet.....

Author: KBecks Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8052 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 12:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
Like others who have posted, we don't have many valuables. I have a diamond ring, but it is worn every day. Other than that, some pearl earrings, and most of the rest is not worth very much.

On Oprah, though, she once interviewed a burglar who had the same strategy, go to the master bedroom and take all the jewelry.

Must have been targeting folks with much more "stuff" than I have.

Occasionally, I'll fantasize about owning jewels or more diamonds and gemstones. But it's not really all that practical.

KBecks

Author: RosemarysBaby Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8053 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 1:03 PM
Occasionally, I'll fantasize about owning jewels or more diamonds and gemstones.

Me, too. But then I realize that I would spend all my time worrying about losing it or damaging it, and I realize it's not worth the trouble. I have one "good" diamond that was my grandmother's; I wear it all the time, though. The burglars would get a whole lot of CZs and semiprecious stones and some gold that would be more trouble to get rid of that it's probably worth.

Author: FoolishCop Big gold star, 5000 posts Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8054 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 1:20 PM
Kasuma724,

"Gee.. .that's how my bedroom looks most of the time... I wonder if I've been burgled and just haven't realized it yet....."

Well, that happens too. I've responded to burglar alarms, found an open door, and see what appears to be a ransacked house. When the homeowner comes home, much to their chagrin, they tell me that no, they haven't been burgled. :)

Rich

Who still tries to remember his mother's admonishment of what would happen if he ever left the house not wearing a clean set of drawers

Author: FriedaChopsticks Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8055 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 1:25 PM
Recommendations: 2
I sent this post to my mother. She is precisely the person who would benefit from reading this sort of post. Thank you so much for posting it.

You'd be surprised who has expensive jewelry at home. Unless you know my mother pretty well, you'd never guess that her dresser is covered in jewelry. On top of that, she has a stand-up jewelry cabinet, too, that is full of rings and necklaces. They just purchased a fire-safe to put some of her jewelry in. (I thought it was for their wills and the deed, etc., silly me.)

My parents are very attached to their jewelry. They buy something on just about every trip they go on. I think the rings are her souvenirs and memories. I think she also looks at them like I look at my IRA balance -- they are her way of saying she "made it." For example, she told me that I "don't realize how much some of this stuff is worth. Some of it is rather rare." But really, it's not. That's what the jeweler in Cancun/Dominican Republic/some other place told her when he sold it to her at the "special rate." But I'm not about to voice my opinion and destroy my parents' joy.

The part that made me sad was that she didn't put my grandmother's wedding rings in the safe because they weren't worth a lot. I offered to take them for safe keeping, but she said no one would take them because there's so many other things of value. Whatever...

I'll keep trying to live simply. The world will not spin off its axis if my grandmother's ring is stolen. I would rather lose that than have any harm come to my folks. In the meantime, they are happy. More power to 'em...

FriedaChopsticks
-- Chatty Cathy today...

FriedaChopsticks

Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8056 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 1:52 PM
I completely agree with both you and the book...

We've been robbed, and much of my jewelry was taken. Fortunately, they didn't get to the gold--just took the silver and the electroplate (I don't care about the electroplate, but I was really, really bummed about the silver--I had some unique pieces).

So now I keep my valuable stuff in the safe (just the gold, really...) and my costume jewelry out in the open where I can see it. It's a pain, and I often forget about the nice pieces I have, but I haven't come up with a good compromise.

Ellen

Author: Hunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8057 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 2:19 PM
If you have valuables, store them someplace else--anyplace else! Just don't store them in your bedroom. If your house is burgled, you'll still have the mess to clean up, to be sure, but your valuables will still be safe.

I'm thankful I knew to do this. I ran the kids to the babysitter's one day, then ran back to the house to get something I had forgotten. I had been gone for around 45 minutes.

I came home walked through the kitchen towards my office to pick up the package I had forgotten. As I entered the kitchen I puzzled over the drawers that were open, wondering if my then 6yr old had opened them, then walked into the office to find it completely trashed.

The lightbulb finally went on over my head that the house had been robbed and they might still be there. I picked up the cordless phone and ran from the house. Phone wouldn't work, they had knocked one of the corded phones off the cradle. I got in the car, moved away from the house and used my cell phone to call the cops.

I didn't check the bedroom until after the cops had cleared the house. The thief had gone through the jewelry box and taken two small birth charms (great sentimental value but probably not worth much, gold with a diamond chip) and a few other small things, but all my real jewelry was in another place. He hadn't trashed the bedroom which lead us to believe I might have interupted him.

Oddly enough, the most valuable things taken was a box of software from my office. The office had been completely destroyed. I joked with my husband later than it looked like we had been robbed by the CIA.

We think our burglery was committed by a teen in the neighborhood. There were a rash of break-ins that summer with odd items taken while valuables in plain sight were over looked. In my case, my camera was sitting on the table in the dining room. The final breakin ended badly with a woman being stabbed when she found him in her home.

I don't have many valuable things, but I was happy not to lose the ones I had for their semtimental value, but I was even more happy I hadn't walked upstairs first before going into the kitchen and office. He might have still been in the house.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
has an alarm and a dog now

Author: CatBarber Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8058 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 3:16 PM

I inherited some valuable jewelry

Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8059 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 4:32 PM

I inherited some valuable jewelry

Value is in the eye of the beholder. The gold jewelry my husband has bought me for gifts, and what I've inherited from my grandmother, may not amount to thousands of dollars, but to me it's valuable. Some of my silver jewelry that I lost was very valuable to me--not because it cost a lot but because it can't be replaced.

Ellen

Author: txskygal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8060 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/16/2004 10:35 PM
I have some valuable, costume, and nice simulated jewelry. If the purchaser likes it; why not have valuable jewlery?

Author: cellarer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8061 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 6:54 AM
Recommendations: 4
I have some valuable, costume, and nice simulated jewelry. If the purchaser likes it; why not have valuable jewlery?

Right now one could say I have a LOT of jewelry. With 10 daughters/DIL's and 16 grandchildren I have tried to put together a collection from which each girl could have a set of her own birthstone, and each guy some piece of gold, about which they could say "This was my mom/grandmama's." I have made a point of wearing the pieces around the reciptient a few times before storing it in a box labeled "property of ---- [name of recipient]" and putting it away - in case I head off for heaven before I get to complete my plan as below.

I figure when I have the collection complete I'll start giving the items out over a year or so during some visits. Just about have the females and grandchildren finished, still working on the sons/SIL's. This stuff is only out when I'm doing the wear-it-around-them thing, and it is NOT stored in the bedroom, though when the visitor's coming I think I'll put it into my jewelry box and make the gift as if I were just taking it out of its usual place. To have something semiprecious that someone else loved is a special bit of joy, and that's what I'm trying to do for them.

grannydoc, looking over her glasses at the gold band which is the only thing she'd be wearing otherwise, and smiling a secret little smile :)

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8062 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 7:35 AM
When I read the original thread, I thought that this thread didn't apply to me. My sister, yes, but not me. My sister's engagement ring is so expensive (and she got it in the last couple months of college) that she was afraid to wear it and afraid to take it off. She didn't sleep well with it on the whole first week, and she was afraid to shower. It was almost funny. The Christmas before that her bf got her diamond earrings, and she was pretty freaked about that, too. Fortunately, my sister grew up living with my brother, and that girl can hide stuff! I have no idea where the earrings are. I doubt that my mother even knows. I'm guessing it would take a good hour to locate them, and no theif has that long. She does this with money and any other valuables she has, too. She was going to loan me money once, but she wasn't home, and I swear it took me 20 minutes to find the money *with* her detailed instructions as to where I could find it. And I also know that when she got home that night she probably moved everything to a new hidden location.

I do not have any valuable jewelry. I specifically asked NOT to have an engagement ring precisely because I would be so terrified of losing it. My wedding band is the most expensive jewelry I own (and relatively cheap for a wedding band) but that never leaves my finger.

Sentimentally, I have a ring that belonged to my grandmother. According to my mother, my grandmother gave me this ring when I was in highschool. However, my mom has the worst memory and when my mom gave me the ring when I got married I had never seen it before. (My mom says that she took it back from me because I left it laying around. I think she probably just told my grandmother that she would hold onto it for me. I don't really know.) Anyway, this ring has a huge aquamarine and a couple of diamond chips set in white gold. It's probably the second most valuable thing I own.

The rest of my jewelry is sterling sliver. Mostly rings, but a couple necklaces, and earrings, too. I really enjoy my rings, and I would be crushed to find that they had been burgaled, even though the average price per ring is only about $30 or $40. Most of them my husband has bought for me (with me present) and it makes me happy to wear them.

One other thing I hadn't considered... I have 2 jewelry boxes. One is just a wooden box that was around $10 or so a few years ago. I keep beaded jewelry that I make in that box. (The bulk of what I make is actually not in this box, though, because I don't wear most of it... I give it as gifts and occasionally sell a piece.) The other box is OLD. I believe it's referred to as a jewelry casket. It was my great-great-grandmothers. It's made of some sort of very heavy metal, is silver in color, and is lined with pink silk (torn in one place.) It is very ornate, with flowers on the top and sides and it stands on old-fashioned style 'feet'. The jewelry box is probably worth more than all of my jewelry combined!

Rebecca
now wondering where on earth (or at least where in my house) I should store this stuff!

Author: eblover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8063 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 9:05 AM
The only things I own of any monetary value are my wedding set and a pair of diamond earrings, both of which I wear every day. My dog would protect the rest of my sentimental *crap*. :)

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8064 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 9:10 AM
Recommendations: 4
When I read the original thread, I thought that this thread didn't apply to me. My sister, yes, but not me. My sister's engagement ring is so expensive (and she got it in the last couple months of college) that she was afraid to wear it and afraid to take it off. She didn't sleep well with it on the whole first week, and she was afraid to shower. It was almost funny. The Christmas before that her bf got her diamond earrings, and she was pretty freaked about that, too. Fortunately, my sister grew up living with my brother, and that girl can hide stuff! I have no idea where the earrings are. I doubt that my mother even knows. I'm guessing it would take a good hour to locate them, and no theif has that long. She does this with money and any other valuables she has, too. She was going to loan me money once, but she wasn't home, and I swear it took me 20 minutes to find the money *with* her detailed instructions as to where I could find it. And I also know that when she got home that night she probably moved everything to a new hidden location.

I wouldn't want to live like that. I guess it's true what they say: "We don't own possessions. Possessions own us."

Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8065 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 12:51 PM
One other thing I hadn't considered... I have 2 jewelry boxes.

Actually, my jewelry box means more to me than all the jewelry inside it. My grandfather made it for me, and he's long departed from this Earth. When we were robbed, the @$$h*les took out the top compartment (which had my baby jewelry and some foreign money from various places). My father made a replacement (though it's not velvet-lined like the original).

But I can't keep it hidden in the safe. It was made for me to use and enjoy, and I'll do so.

Ellen

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8066 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 2:32 PM

But I can't keep it hidden in the safe. It was made for me to use and enjoy, and I'll do so.

I'll second that! I have a small cache of gold jewelry (6 or so chains, a dozen or so pairs of earrings, one knock-your-socks-off necklace), good cultured pearls and a couple of rings. I stopped buying costume jewelry about 10 years ago when I started wearing sterling. Then graduated from silver to gold.

I can't be bothered changing jewelry every day and spend less money on jewelry that I just buy "real" stuff.

There's no way I'm going to keep my jewelry in a safe deposit box -- I wear some of it every day.

A friend of mine was robbed and the thieves really knew their stuff -- they took everything 14K and above, left the gold-filled and costume. Fran had a number of pieces which she thought looked real but they were left behind. Her mother's sterling flatwear was also taken as well as a leather coat and some expensive designer clothing.

Good camera equipment is also usually taken. But that's another story which is too long for right now.

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8068 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/17/2004 9:06 PM
Oddly enough, the most valuable things taken was a box of software from my office. The office had been completely destroyed. I joked with my husband later than it looked like we had been robbed by the CIA.

We think our burglery was committed by a teen in the neighborhood. There were a rash of break-ins that summer with odd items taken while valuables in plain sight were over looked.

When my apartment was robbed, many years ago, the only things taken were a typewriter and a steam iron. The iron, which was new, was probably worth more than the TV or stereo set.

The police officers implied that they suspected someone living in the complex (and advised me to move, although the neighborhood was generally safe). I don't know whether it is more than a coincidence, but a few months later, about a dozen police cars arrived and surrounded the building with guns drawn, then arrested the building manager's husband for a parole violation. He had been "inside" when I moved into the building. Shortly after that, the building manager was arrested for welfare fraud.

Author: daFlufferNut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8193 of 37123
Subject: Re: Put Away Your Jewelry Date: 1/28/2004 12:48 PM
I don't come to this board often enough (a sign of my lack of organizational skills) but I came on this and had to tell you that you made my mother's day today.

My father likes to buy her very nice jewelry and has been after her for some time to put it away in her drawer or in the very nice jewelry box he gave her. She does have jewelry in there. The inexpensive baubles (some of them very gaudy) that her children bought her as they were growing up, cheap costume stuff etc.

Her good jewelry is hidden. In some interesting places. No, not in icecube trays in the freezer or in the toilet tank, but places that only someone like my mother would think to look. I know because she needed me to send her one of her bracelets a while back and she had me looking for it in 3 rather bizare places. It was in the last one.

I sent your post to her, and she showed it to my father as justification of her habit.

He laughed, agreed she had a point, and is looking in to getting a wall safe.

Da Fluff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement