UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128781  
Subject: PVC pipe cap Date: 5/26/2010 4:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In my front yard is a PVC pipe about three inches in diameter sticking up out of the ground a couple of inches. It's about four feet from the front of my house just outside the flower bed. Curiously, I've noticed that most of my neighbors' thingie is actually in the flower bed.

The PVC pipe was topped with a gray cap that I presume could be twisted off, although I've never had a reason to do so. At any rate, the cap is now gone. I think what happened was it was knocked off by the guys who mow my lawn . . . the pipe is low enough to the ground that it appears a lawnmower could be pushed over it without hitting it, but I know from personal experience that is not the case. [blush]

So two questions:
1) What is this pipe for?
2) Is it crucial that I replace the cap? Obviously leaves, bugs and grass trimmings can get down the pipe now, but would that be a problem?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108633 of 128781
Subject: Re: PVC pipe cap Date: 5/26/2010 4:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
So two questions:
1) What is this pipe for?
2) Is it crucial that I replace the cap? Obviously leaves, bugs and grass trimmings can get down the pipe now, but would that be a problem?

1. The pipe is probably the vent/cleanout for your sewer pipe going down to the street.

2. Yes. Our township even has an ordinance insisting on it, not that we knew about it until our sewerage started coming out on our lawn. The pipe cap had been broken off before we bought the house, probably by the lawn guys, and the pieces had gone into the pipe where it had shifted over the years to block the flow to the main line. The emergency sewer repair guy who came out, (we first called the township who came out, saw the cap missing, and yelled at us,) was fortunately able to retrieve it with some sort of claw thing, but told us that it could very well have traveled another 6 inches in which case we would have had to excavate to fix the pipe. We were darned lucky!

Unless you can find the cap, you might want to have someone come look for it inside the pipe before it can travel very far.

IP

Author: BobbysPapa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108634 of 128781
Subject: Re: PVC pipe cap Date: 5/26/2010 4:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
That's what they call a "sweep-out" for your sewage line. It's there in case you get a clog in your pipe, then you just use a snake to reach in and unclog it.

I would get that capped again, if I were you. They don't actually screw on, in my experiance, but kinda twist in. You should be able to get them in any hardware store....

Mike in NJ

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108648 of 128781
Subject: Re: PVC pipe cap Date: 5/27/2010 1:20 PM
When you drive through new housing developments, you often see sewer pipes extending up into the air four ft or more. I would presume this means the sewer line has been installed and they have extended it high up to allow grading, seeding, etc and until a house is constructed on the site and connected to the line.

When the house plumbing is connected to the pipe, putting a clean-out at that location makes sense and is easy.

You probably have some potential to adjust the height of the cleanout. If it is high enough to be damaged by a lawn mower, you need to protect it. Or you might consider burying it a few inches and then marking the spot. But by all means, make sure you have a way to find it when you need it. Sounds like the usual metal detector won't work, unless you put some metal in the ground to make it findable.

I don't know how much codes will allow in your area, but just my .02 worth to think about.

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108650 of 128781
Subject: Re: PVC pipe cap Date: 5/27/2010 1:45 PM
Or you might consider burying it a few inches and then marking the spot.

If you go that route, I'd dig the hole deep enough to have the cap a few inches below ground level, and put a cover over it like a valve box.
ex: http://www.pentekaccessboxes.com/products/category.asp?catID...
The ones they show allow for a much much deeper hole than what I have (mine is a ~9" round cement cover in the sidewalk, with the sewer pipe cleanout about a foot down.)

I'd make sure that the utility box cover is about 1/2 inch below grade so that you don't stub your toe on it while playing in the grass, but 1/2" isn't so low that it'll collect a lot of dirt and the lawn covers it up

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement