Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

One of our employees passed away in mid-December 1999. His paycheck in the amount of $1000 for December was deposited into HIS own account in January 2000.

For the payroll purpose on the W-2 Form (according to IRS instruction), this $1000 amount should not be included in the W-2 Form for 1999 because the payment was made AFTER the year of the death. But this amount needs to be reported on the Form 1099-MISC.

Which box on the Form 1099-Misc do I need to fill out for this $1000? (Assuming the $1000 was deposited into the deceased employee's account in January 2000)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.