UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1238  
Subject: Re: Err...I don't know Date: 10/1/2012 2:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Qazulight,

You wrote, What to make of it.

Certainly no "black hole" as the ridiculous author implies. But the effect is interesting. I wonder why the valence electron was attracted to the (positively?) charged nanotube?

Its kind of interesting that the nanowire has sufficient magnetic attraction to strip off a valence electron; but once I think it through, I suppose I'm not really that surprised. The attraction would simply be a function of distance and charge (potential). The greater the potential, the further out the effect should occur. I also wonder what practical applications it might have?

I suppose if you had a large number of charged nanowires in a confined space, you could get a much higher probability of collision. You could also increase the probability (and the resulting velocity of the out-bound ion) if you increased the wire's charge. That could result in the production of usable numbers of ions. But what could you use them for?

If you could make the effect directional, it might make for a more compact and efficient ion engine. The ion velocities already seem similar to existing engine designs. But as long as the effect is not directional (I assume the ions will fly off in any direction more or less along a plane perpendicular to the wire), this just seems like a curious way to quickly super-heat a (tiny fraction of a) super-cold substance.

- Joel
Who's a programmer - not a physicist, chemist, rocket scientist or even an electrical engineer and has very limited knowledge in this area.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement