UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Rolandorg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 266713  
Subject: Qualitative Easing Date: 10/7/2012 6:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In 1927 the stock market was rising crazily because people thought nearly any investment would make money, and there was a steady increase in the money supply. This resulted in a huge inflation, followed by the Depression of 1929 to 1933. This was not the first time for the world.
Whenever governments could not pay their bills, they created a "Qualitative Easing" (i.e. Run the printing presses to increase the money supply and thereby inflate the cost of purchases, savings and investments)

This is also the way governments reduce the spendable value of their debt
and avoid going bankrupt.

Now Ben Bernanke, head of the Federal Reserve BANK, who may never have read a history book, thinks it is a good idea and may deceive people into believing the Obama administration has the economy under control without raising taxes. If history repeats, this should be followed by another Depression, like 1929.

Do you agree, and if so, what should the investors and savers do before
it is too late?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259426 of 266713
Subject: Re: Qualitative Easing Date: 10/7/2012 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
They tell us that Ben Bernanke is an expert student of the depression era economics. I cannot agree with the "may never have read a history book" statement.

The economy is recovering slowly. Personally I think Bernanke was overly aggressive in bringing on the recession. Alan Greenspan would have dealt with real estate excesses by jawboning and Bernanke could have achieved his goals with a 5% reduction in real estate values. His 20% reduction collapsed the market, crashed the banks, and wiped out the equity of numerous homeowners. Secondary effects wiped out retirement accounts and savings.

Rebuilding will take a while, but the current trend looks ok to me.

Hawks still think we should cut spending aggressively, reduce deficits, and even pay down the national debt. To do that now would mean even higher unemployment, possibly deflation, and cause still more pain for the middle class and the poor.

If you worry about inflation, hard assets like gold, land, minerals in the ground, collectibles like art, antiques, stamps, coins, etc, can be the right move. But in each case, you must know the market well enough to buy them right.

For most individuals the best you can do is buy good quality stocks especially in industry leaders who can pass on rising costs to their customers. Dividend paying stocks can be an excellent strategy, but again you must pick them right. Companies that can prosper in the conditions you describe.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement