Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sirclayton Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 244  
Subject: Quarterly Pseudo Driping Bad? Date: 11/5/2001 1:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I wish to tell all the Pseudo Drip zealots and fanatics out there, that today, i painstakingly read all 232 posts and by doing so, am greatly enlightened.....
My question of concern is this, Should I invest monthly or quarterly?
There was 2 posts mentioning this, however, they were not adaquately answered for me....
I will tell you my situation.
I currently have an account with Share Builder.
for the 1st month, $1,000 ,, BAM is invested in stock XYZ
every month thereafter, $300 is invested in stock XYZ, or $900 quarterly would be invested into stock XYZ.

So, i could do $900 quarterly = 5 trades (counting inital $1,000)
5 * $4 = $20
$20 / $4600 = .43% commissions

or....

13 trades * $4 = $52
$52 / 4600 = 1.13% commissions

As you can see, not a great deal of commission cost for both plans, but which will be more beneficial for my overall return? Driping more frequenly, or less?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
SirClayton

Print the post Back To Top
Author: GLSmyth Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 235 of 244
Subject: Re: Quarterly Pseudo Driping Bad? Date: 11/5/2001 8:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The short answer is that the more often you invest, the more you will reduce your risk.

http://www.fool.com/dripport/2000/dripport000328.htm

Cheers -

george

Author: madmarv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 239 of 244
Subject: Re: Quarterly Pseudo Driping Bad? Date: 11/8/2001 11:44 PM
Recommendations: 0
As you can see, not a great deal of commission cost for both plans, but which will be more beneficial for my overall return? Driping more frequenly, or less?

Statistically, the answer is neither. There is no significant benefit either way in the long term. The 0.7% savings in commissions is more than offset by the variation in average purchase price. George's article missed the point of dollar cost averaging. He didn't figure out the average purchase price would be under the various scenarios. The bottom line is that monthly or quarterly dripping plans will probably end up with an average price within a couple percentage points of each other and there is no guarantee that a greater frequency will mean a lower purchase price.

Here's a post I made a while back on the subject. I should mention that this study used a long purchase period (5 years). Don't expect the results to be the same for shorter periods.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13258901

Marv

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement