Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey guys, need a tax expert -

One of my relatives is getting ready to sell a large chunk of stock. They are going to be hit with about 20K in long term capital gains and their current annual income is about $140K. Since I am sure that this will wake up quite a few people at the IRS, what is the obligations for paying taxes? Do they need to pay taxes immediately or within the quarter?

Also, they were flagged several years ago for under-withholding because they sold some stock. Since the IRS seemed to have difficulting understanding that this was a one time gain, a hub-bub insued.

In otherwords, what is the best way to handle this whole mess?


PS: If you can recommend some IRS pubs we can look this up in, I would appreciate it. 550 and 590 don't seem to cover it (or I am blind)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.