Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A number of years ago, I opened Custodial Accounts for my 2 grandchildren. I did this through a DRIP program with JNJ. This falls under the rules for UTMA (or whatever your favorite acronym in your state is) - or where I am the custodian and the grandkids own the assets.

A few years ago I then opened Coverdel IRAs for them. These replaced the old Educational IRAs and allow up to $2K per year vs. the old $500 in the Educational IRA.

Now, I would like to get the $$ from the JNJ Custodial Accounts and add it to the Coverdel IRAs. From what I have been able to find and what I've been told...
- I can't transfer the funds from the Custodial Acct to the Coverdel IRA.
- If I sell the stock in the custodial account, the assets belong to the kids even though I'm the custodian. Also, since they are minors and living with their parents, any tax consequences from the sale in the custodial acount will be on the grandkids parents (my daughter & son-in-law).

Any suggestions, clarifications, etc. ??

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.