UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60124  
Subject: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Art asked me what I can do with all my peach salsa. He knows I eat a low carb diet. Corn tortillas and chips are not that high in carbs as long as you don't eat too much. But here is another answer:

The last 3 mornings I have made a quesadilla for brunch. Use medium heat then turn down to med-low. In a smaller non stick pan I cook some cherry tomatoes cut in half because I have a billion right now. Today I added some home grown chopped chives. That cooks down a little while I putter around the kitchen. I add one pickled jalapeno and my home made mild peach salsa (homegrown tomatoes, onions and peppers, local peaches). Art said it would be lower carbs w/o the peach. Yeah, but I love it. I just made a small batch and only used 1/2 peach for about a pint. Not too bad in carbs. I know Art doesn't like peach salsa so I think that was the real kicker. I use a low carb flour tortilla, net carbs 5. Put it in a non stick pan (no oil needed), add shredded extra sharp cheese. You just add the peach salsa mix after you slide the melted cheese quesadilla onto a plate. When most of the ingredients are from your garden, it is delicious.

Anyway, I have added turkey luncheon meat too because that needed to be used up. You can certainly leave that off.

For all of you who don't hate the Olympics: watching beach volleyball right now--Germany vs Brazil. It's supposed to be the hottest ticket at the games. I guess Londoners don't see a lot of beach sand next to Buckingham palace and it doesn't hurt that I have not seen one ugly contender.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44311 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 12:40 PM
Recommendations: 2
Quesadillas are my go-to emergency rations. Being gluten-free (well I cheat, but not with flour tortillas), I use corn tortillas. I like quesdaillas with shredded mild cheese and chopped tomato, scallion, olives, and sliced hot pepper--pickled or fresh jalapeño or fresh serrano.

I like peach salsa on fish or shrimp tacos. I make soft tacos with pan-fried or grilled fish or shrimp and add lots of shredded cabbage and cooked black beans, peach salsa, and usually extra hot pepper.

I've been trying to figure out what to make for my brother for dinner later this week, and I think I'll do shrimp or fish tacos, whatever seafood is on sale. I don't care for the texture of tilapia, but it works in tacos, although I prefer flounder, which is local here, as are shrimp, and often inexpensive.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44319 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 4:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
"Art said it would be lower carbs w/o the peach. Yeah, but I love it. I just made a small batch and only used 1/2 peach for about a pint. Not too bad in carbs. I know Art doesn't like peach salsa so I think that was the real kicker."- Lindytoes

Adding peaches to Salsa sounds like something they might do in NEW YORK CITY! I like Salsa that tastes like one would expect Salsa to taste like. I'm not into adding ingredients to food that don't normally belong there.

This Stuff's Made In New York City!!! Pace Thick & Chunky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxnieYctVM

Like putting cinnamon in barbecue sauce.... yuck!

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44321 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 5:09 PM
"I've been trying to figure out what to make for my brother for dinner later this week, and I think I'll do shrimp or fish tacos, whatever seafood is on sale. I don't care for the texture of tilapia, but it works in tacos, although I prefer flounder, which is local here, as are shrimp, and often inexpensive." alstromeria

Believe it or not catfish fillets or "Swai" (Asian Catfish) works well in fish tacos. Saw that on TV Food Network and tried it and thought it was pretty good. Probably because all the stuff you put on there sort of masks the "fishy" taste of catfish and the catfish texture, which is kind of meaty, holds together well within the taco shell.

I'd think that flounder might fall apart since it is so soft and mushy sometimes? Firmer textured fish do better in fish tacos.

Art

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44322 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 7:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
Like putting sugar on pizza. Or sugar in BBQ sauce. Yuck to both.

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44324 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 8:16 PM
Adding peaches to salsa is something they do in Mexico. :) You might not like it, but it is not inauthentic.

I like Pace Thick and Chunky salsa, but primarily with chips or on a sliced avocado salad. It's certainly nothing like any tomato salsa I make from scratch even though I have used a number of different recipes. (Too lazy to make too often.)

I am far more likely to make peach or mango salsa than tomato salsa, particularly to eat with grilled salmon.

Wessex

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44326 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 9:36 PM
Adding peaches to Salsa sounds like something they might do in NEW YORK CITY!

My thought exactly.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44328 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 10:39 PM
Recommendations: 2
Adding peaches to Salsa sounds like something they might do in NEW YORK CITY!

My thought exactly.

Is this where I say that "Good Mewxican Food" is an oxymoron? Start with bland, greasy, tasteless, high-carb ingredients, and try to make it palatable by adding spice. More power to the peach salsa!

Count Upp
... has similar thoughts about pizza

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44330 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 11:23 PM
Is this where I say that "Good Mewxican Food" is an oxymoron? Start with bland, greasy, tasteless, high-carb ingredients, and try to make it palatable by adding spice. More power to the peach salsa!

I think Mexican food is one of the great cuisines of the world.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44331 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 11:43 PM
"Is this where I say that "Good Mewxican Food" is an oxymoron? Start with bland, greasy, tasteless, high-carb ingredients, and try to make it palatable by adding spice. More power to the peach salsa!"
Count Upp ... has similar thoughts about pizza"

---------------------------------

If everybody in the world ate protein the way Americans eat protein there wouldn't hardly be any animals left in the world anywhere. Most poor world citizens eat high carb greasy food because it's cheap. When they do eat meat they eat it sparingly because it's expensive. Not everyone in the world can afford to eat the way we eat.

It takes ~ 7 to 10 lbs of food to produce one pound of gain in cattle feed lots. For poultry it's about ~ 2 to 1 and for pigs it is about 3-4 to 1 lb of gain. For monogastric animals that is plant protein and starch that could have been fed directly to humans so you see why meat protein is a luxury.

We in the United States are just lucky and have just won life's lottery in the food department. And that is why "ethnic" foods are usualy more starch oriented. Starch is cheaper than meat protein.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44332 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/30/2012 11:45 PM
"I think Mexican food is one of the great cuisines of the world." sykesix

I like them all. Some more than others. Very fond of Chinese Buffets. I make spaghetti at home all the time. It's the bomb!

Art

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44343 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/31/2012 10:46 AM
Firmer textured fish do better in fish tacos.

Maybe that's why I like shrimp tacos. But I've made fish tacos with pan-fried arctic char, a salmon and trout relative that's cheaper than either--when I can get it at all.

I have trouble eating soft tacos without making a mess(!), so I usually just pile up some shredded cabbage, black beans and fish topped with a little salsa (and maybe some extra hot peppers and cilantro) and take an occasional bite of warmed or toasted tortilla. My husband is always very happy with this dinner, whatever kind of fish I use. Sometimes I have him grill the shrimp or fish, especially if it's very hot and I don;t want to heat up the kitchen with cooking (I usually cook the beans for hours in my thermal cooker: bring beans & water to a rolling boil, then lock it down till the beans are soft. I usually make a pound at once, so I have leftover beans even after eating fish tacos for 2 nights. Doggone it, I can't wait another day--I'm heading to the fish store today to see what's on offer!

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44350 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/31/2012 11:58 AM
"I usually cook the beans for hours in my thermal cooker: bring beans & water to a rolling boil, then lock it down till the beans are soft. I usually make a pound at once, so I have leftover beans even after eating fish tacos for 2 nights" - alstromeria

I got Bonnie to buy me a little crock pot so I can make small batches of dry beans. We had/have a large crock pot but it makes so much that it's difficult to just cook a small amount of dry beans in it. The little crock pot is really nice because I can cook just a cup or two of dry beans and it makes enough but not too much.

Linda gave me several bags of different kinds of beans and there is just a cup or so of beans in each bag and I don't like to mix them because they all have different cooking times and they don't come out right if I mix them together. I cooked some white lima beans in our new crock pot and they came out perfect.

There was like about a cup and half of dry lima beans and I just soaked them overnight and then rinsed them, put them in the little crock pot, covered them with water and turned it on and let it do it's thing till they were done and then added a scant teaspoon salt and let it cook a little while longer and then turned it off. I think there was about 3 cups cooked beans when it was all said and done which is about right for the two of us.

Art

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44353 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 7/31/2012 12:15 PM
AH, but if you'd cooked a whole pound of dried limas, you could've mixed the leftovers with leftover fresh corn scraped off the cob for a nice succotash. Leftover succotash could become the base for a Brunswick stew--just add chopped squirrel, okra and tomatoes...isn't that the Georgia state dish?

Now I'm hungry for stew...

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44433 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 8/3/2012 9:18 PM
Like putting sugar on pizza. Or sugar in BBQ sauce. Yuck to both.

Or like putting cucumbers on pizza. It would taste terrible. We cannot give people the right to choose any topping they want. On this issue there can be no debate.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44435 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 8/3/2012 10:33 PM
Hi Andrew! BTW you are wrong. Lots of interesting things are good on pizza, like artichokes. But peaches are not only delicious in salsa according to me, major companies must think so because they manufacture millions of jars every year.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44436 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 8/3/2012 10:38 PM
But peaches are not only delicious in salsa according to me, major companies must think so because they manufacture millions of jars every year.

Peach chutney! Yummmm!

Count Upp

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44440 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 8/4/2012 1:34 AM
Hi Andrew! BTW you are wrong. Lots of interesting things are good on pizza, like artichokes.

I was doing Seinfeld, lindy. I forgot which board I was posting on.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44441 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 8/4/2012 2:01 AM
"I was doing Seinfeld, lindy. I forgot which board I was posting on." andrew

Lindytoes takes life very seriously and doesn't get humor real well. She rarely watches prime time comedy TV shows. She watches/listens to CNN and/or MSNBC all day long.

by the way, I thought your comment was funny. Who wants to eat soft half cooked squishy cucumbers on watery pizza?

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44449 of 60124
Subject: Re: Quesadillas Date: 8/4/2012 3:19 PM
they have pizzas with BBQ sauce.

In fact, California Pizza Oven sells a BBQ Chicken pizza which is good.

I don't know where you live, but they are 'regular' on the menu pizzas here in TX.

NOw, cucumbers on pizza aren't my thing, but they have 'green salad' pizzas here full of veggies.... I usually skip them because they usually includes loads of onions, and peppers....

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement