Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: My first ever "Notice" Date: 7/4/2012 8:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
QUESTION 1 - Is this $4776 my adjusted cost basis ... or should I have reported the $4993 which I actually paid as my cost basis?

Probably neither is correct. Your basis is what you originally paid, plus all of the taxable income you reported for the years you owned it, less all the flow through deductions you reported, less any distributions, plus or minus a few other things I've deliberately omitted for now.

Their notice to me states that the sale of CODI for $5522, which was reported to them by my broker, was NOT included on my return -- and they recomputed my taxes using a zero cost basis. They apparently missed the Form 4797, and the carryover gain to Schedule D, Line 11.

That's because it really should have been reported on schedule D to begin with, not on form 4797. (Well, not all of the sale, anyway. Perhaps some should have been reported on Form 4797, but you'd need to look at the materials accompanying your K-1 to determine if any of the sale should be reported on Form 4797.)

QUESTION 2 - Do I owe the IRS more, less, or exactly what I paid --

No way to know for sure without looking at all of your returns for the time you owned it plus all of the K-1s from the partnership.

and do you have any advice for handling this?

The IRS will probably go away if you write to them, saying you reported the sale on Form 4797. Including a copy of the 4797 can't hurt.

I am not saying that your basis was correct. But if you show the IRS where you reported the sale, they probably won't inquire further.

--Peter

PS - As a tax pro I also hate Publicly Traded Partnerships. They're a pain in the neck to deal with and I can't charge enough for the work. Plus I feel PTPs should be taxed as corporations.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement