No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for some advice.
I had been contributing to my 401K but I would like to max out my contributions for the year. I was told that I can only contribute trough my payroll deductions.
Right now I'm short of $6,000.00 to max it out.
Should I open a Roth IRA and deposit the $6,000.00 from my savings or have them take a higher deduction from my paycheck and use the savings to supplement my income?

My employer do not match my contributions, so the only benefit I get is the pretax on the money they take out.
Do I have to participate in this retirement plan or can I invest that money in a better way for retirement and still get the tax deductions?
Any advice would be very appreciated

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.