UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 401kinvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Question Date: 2/20/2012 11:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know were you can buy a walker for mom she can't get around the house even with cane and is in pain. I looked at walgreens but could find any?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304510 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/21/2012 2:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Medical supply house. In my area there are a number of these. They sell walkers, crutches, etc. Check with more than one to compare prices. There may be other places but that is where I got mine when I had a broken ankle. She may also want to check with her doctor to see if a walker is the best option for her.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304511 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/21/2012 3:08 AM
I was trying to think of where to pick up a used one. What did you do with yours?

Jean

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304512 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/21/2012 6:42 AM
Medical supply house or craigslist

peace & everything is for sale
t

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304513 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/21/2012 10:35 AM
Besides a medical supply house, I've seen them listed on craigslist and freecycle. You might also try your local Council on Aging. I know that ours sometimes has equipment that they give to folks who need it. I have several walkers and canes from FIL, and my plan is to donate those to the Council on Aging so that they can lend or give them to people who may need them.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304515 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/21/2012 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Walgreens sells them but you may need to order from their website. It's a nice thought but I would caution doing anything without working with her dr and a physical therapist. Depending on her age, medicare/gap may cover it and the PT to go along. I don't think it's a simple change.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304516 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/21/2012 2:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
It's a nice thought but I would caution doing anything without working with her dr and a physical therapist.

Very good point. My mother has a Rollator, and since she is short, there was a question of what size to get, and how to use it. Even with a cane there is a matter of exactly how to use it, and a PT is a good person to ask.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-category-subcats.asp?...

Nancy

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304535 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/22/2012 12:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thrift shops sometimes have walkers.

Also--- if she has the ability, I'd favor using crutches over a walker. You can get around far more efficiently on crutches than a walker if you have the needed steadiness. And crutches tend to be pretty available in thrift shops as an added bonus.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: suburbancaroline Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304543 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/22/2012 5:34 PM
if she has the ability, I'd favor using crutches over a walker. You can get around far more efficiently on crutches than a walker if you have the needed steadiness.

IF you have the needed steadiness. All of my family members who have needed a walker needed it to help maintain their balance even while standing still. Crutches would not have addressed that issue at all.

Author: 401kinvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304547 of 308782
Subject: Re: Question Date: 2/23/2012 12:26 AM
Recommendations: 3
Dad did not want to walk into Goodwill and look in Savers. He was afraid of being robbed on Craigslist so he called CVS by the hospital and they had them. He bought 1 walker and 1 with wheels for $250.00 which he saved the receipt and the doctor note saying it was necessary to have it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement