Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: eurobask Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Question - $3000 tax writeoff Date: 9/25/2005 10:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am looking for advice on the best strategy to handle selling of Tyco (TYC) shares that are considerably lower than what I bought them at a few years ago, in hopes of taking advantage of reducing my taxable income by $3000. Do I sell the shares that have dropped in price the most first, and then do the same in the coming years, up to the $3000 tax-writeoff limit, until I have sold all my shares? I say this with my belief that Tyco shares will not be appreciating at a higher rate than what I can find elsewhere, especially with the fact they don't have a huge dividend yield (1% I think, not much for a large conglomerate, and one that's trying to pay off a huge amount of debt).

A recent Fool.com article does have me wondering though, "Should I hold?". Warren Buffet, it was announced recently in a Fool article, has even purchased 5 million shares of TYC (http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05081609.htm?ref=foolwatch ), as I do agree it is a solid company now. But, prior to getting any feedback from this post, I'm inclined to sell at this point, and reinvest the cash in some other, more promising stocks.

I used to work for Tyco International (Dennis Koslowski has made it famous) from 2000 to 2002, which covered the period when their stock made them Wall Street's darling at $60/share at the end of 2001/beginning of 2002. Tyco hit bottom, near $6 in June/July of 2002, as is now back up to $28.93 as of Friday. .

Well, during that time, I got caught up in the fervor and bought $13,340 in shares, dollar-cost averaging each month (about 270 shares I own now) from December of 2000 to March of 2002. I actually only paid $11,600 with a 15% discount through an ESPP employee stock purchase plan for the $13,340 in value of TYC stock. I should have been more cautious and done due diligence, but honestly didn't understand much at all then about valuation of stocks at that time. I just saw the 15% discount for a "hot" stock and wanted to begin investing, as I was just out of college.

So with that said, would anyone have advice on how best to handle my situation?

Thanks
eurobask
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement