UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AlphaWolf Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4456  
Subject: Question Date: 9/7/2012 7:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There are many sites, like the Motley Fool, that have boxes to write posts or replies to posts.

Often, I will write more that the box will display.

However, on the iPad, there is no way (that I've found) to scroll through a response to review or edit it. If you use your finger, the whole box moves up or down but not the overflow text within the box.

While its counter-intuitive to a touch screen, I could use some arrows to move up and down through my text.

Does anyone know of a solution for this (besides being more succinct)? :)

AW
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2709 of 4456
Subject: Re: Question Date: 9/7/2012 7:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Your observations was new to me, so I grabbed my iPad and did some junk typing with a lot of "returns" so I could get the bottom of the box. What I found was the text in the box did move before the entire box/web page moved up or down. I did not try any editing. To achieve this result I had to use a single finger on the touch screen.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: AlphaWolf Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2713 of 4456
Subject: Re: Question Date: 9/7/2012 10:09 PM
Not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

I can enter all the text I want, but the issue is how do you edit text that is no longer displayed in the box.

Thanks,
AW

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2714 of 4456
Subject: Re: Question Date: 9/8/2012 9:29 AM
Ok lets start this all over - we are having a communication problem.

In your original post, you wrote there is no way (that I've found) to scroll through a response to review or edit it. If you use your finger, the whole box moves up or down but not the overflow text within the box.

For purposes of this reply, assume the iPad reply box will allow display of X lines of text. Further assume you have created a reply with X+15 lines of text. I took those words to mean, you can move the box in which you enter text up and down on the iPad screen. But you could not see the first 15 lines of text. (Obviously if you cannot see text on the iPad screen, you cannot edit the text - as far as I know at least.)

My previous response was to this issue.

In your second post in this thread, you wrote but the issue is how do you edit text that is no longer displayed in the box.

It is not possible to edit text on an iMac, PC or an iPad that you cannot see. By the method in my previous reply, you can see the first 15 lines of text. When you see any text on your iPad (inside the box obviously) you can edit it just like any other text is the email app or Pages or the Address Bar of a browser.

In your second post, are you saying you do not know how to edit text entered in TMF's reply box generally?

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: AlphaWolf Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2840 of 4456
Subject: Re: Question Date: 10/6/2012 10:56 AM
Recommendations: 4
Ok, I just figured this out.

If you are writing a reply on the MF boards using your iPad (like I am right now), there is a box in which I'm writing this reply.

If I write a lot (don't worry, I won't), then the amount of text will exceed the space in the box and the first sentences are not visible, having scrolled up out of view.

In other programs on a computer, say something like Word, a scroll bar appears on the side so you can move up and down to see the text that cannot be displayed on one screen. Or you could use the up and down arrows on the keyboard.

Neither of these solutions work on the iPad.

Using one finger moves the entire screen up and down, but not the text within the box.

However, using two fingers does the trick!!!!

The text within the box scrolls up and down, not the entire screen.

Excellent.

It makes me wonder what other "features" I don't know about on my iPad.

AW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement