Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 5000fingers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121598  
Subject: Question about depreciation Date: 4/26/2003 7:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have some business expenses and regularly do a Schedule C to write off these expenses. It's usually several thousand dollars a year, and it has come to my attention that some of my business purchases might be eligible for claiming depreciation. My rather simple question is whether or not I can claim depreciation on something (say, a computer or a printer) if I originally wrote off the purchase price of the unit the year that I bought it? Isn't it an either/or situation, where I can either write off the original purchase or claim depreciation, but not both?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65190 of 121598
Subject: Re: Question about depreciation Date: 4/26/2003 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My rather simple question is whether or not I can claim depreciation on something (say, a computer or a printer) if I originally wrote off the purchase price of the unit the year that I bought it?

You may not.

Isn't it an either/or situation, where I can either write off the original purchase or claim depreciation, but not both?

Technically speaking both are the same. If it's depreciable property you depreciate it. There is section 179 accelerated depreciation which under certain conditions allows you to fully depreciate an asset the year you buy it.

Phil

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement