UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: marcusfan One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: Question about diversification (long) Date: 10/25/2004 7:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm 44 years old, single and eligible for full retirement in 12 years. I'm a state employee so I am covered by a defined benefit pension plan that will replace about 60% of my salary plus the state will partially subsidize my health insurance post retirement.

I'm currently saving about 30% of my gross income for retirement and have no debt except for my mortgage which I'm trying to pay off within the next five years. I'm fairly sure that I will be able to live on 60% of my salary if I have to, since I'm currently living on 70% and paying a mortgage.

I realize that retiring at 56 means that I could live a long, long time in retirement and I would like to make sure that I have enough to provide for my needs. I am not concerned about leaving an inheritance for anyone and ideally would check out while waiving my last dollar bill in the air. Since I can't determine when that will be, I need to make sure that I have enough saved. My family history has most of my relatives living into their upper 80's.

I would like some opinions on whether I'm sufficiently diversified. Last weeks discussion on this board about treating pensions as bonds triggered this question. I max out my contribution to my 457 plan and I've had the money in mostly large cap growth and value funds with about 10% each in small cap, mid cap and bond funds. I max out my Roth IRA and it is in individual blue chip stocks.

I have about 30 funds I can choose from in my 457 plan. The only Vanguard funds available are life strategy funds, but there are some Fidelity, American Century, Dreyfus and Invesco funds from which I can choose. So, what do you all think? Am I too overloaded in large cap stocks? Am I too aggressive, or not aggressive enough in light of the fact that I will also be covered by a pension plan. If you think I am too top heavy in large cap, what would you suggest given the above facts? I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions for me to think about. Thanks.

Marcusfan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement