Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21940  
Subject: Question about flash... Date: 3/19/2004 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am fairly new to the world of flash. I have purchased and have been experimenting with some pretty heavy duty flash equipment.

Just to level set the discussion:

I use Canon EOS 1V camera bodies
I also use Mamyia 6x7 Pro II

My flash collection consists of:
Handle Mount Metz 70-5
Metz 54-3
3 3200B Visatec Monolights

This weekend I was doing some portraits. The couple had deep set eyes. So, I was using my 35mm with the Metz 54-3 on a Stroboframe for fill-in flash. But, I wasn't quite getting it because the light was coming at an angle, and I couldn't turn them because there was some background I was trying to capture.

So, as I suspected, when I got the photos back, they were very good, except the eyes are dark in some. In a few photos the eyes are so dark that you can't see any eyes - just black holes. I also made a mistake because I should have metered on the eyes, then the fill-in may have caught that. I'm nto sure yet, i'll have to try again someday.

What would have been perfect was to have a flash set at a 45 degree angle to the couple. That would have eliminated all the shadow, I think.

As I said, I am pretty new to using flash. However, I have invested a lot in it because I am becoming more intrigued by it as a new tool in the tool belt. I suppose it's a natural progression in the learning curve.

Anyway, now I am looking at the pocket wizard as a way to wirelessly have a strobe on the side of the shadow, while I shoot from whatever angle I need to. But, the pocket wizard thing confuses me. I don't understand what I really need to buy. One of my frustrations with using flash is that it is not "plug and play". There is always some other little gadget or doo-dad you need to make it work correctly.

So, here's what I want to do, and maybe someone can provide some guidance...

I have stands. So, I want to put one of my flashes, preferably one of the Metz's on a stand - so, I need an adapter for that - I think. Then have a pocket wizard on that, and the other part on the camera.

Is that all there is too it?

So, how do I use these pocket wizards if I want to have a flash on my camera, or close to my camera, and one at an angle away from my camera? Will TTL still work correctly, or at that point does it become a manual process.

I am trying to be as effecient as possible. Remember, I come from the natural light world, so too much bog, and I may just give up. But, I do want the flexibility to have my flash somewhere besides on the camera.

I know with a power pack, I can have my strobes work pretty good outside, but they are heavy and difficult to move around. they really are more for studio work.

Thanks for any help on this,
Toes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement