UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DoLoop Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75532  
Subject: Question about funding a Roth IRA Date: 10/1/2004 6:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not sure if this is the proper board to be asking such a question but...

My wife and I are in our mid-60's; she's retired - I'm not. Our retirement funds are in five different accounts: her regular IRA, my regular IRA, her Roth IRA, my Roth IRA and a joint taxable account. We do not withdraw from any of these funds and I do not anticipate doing so for at least three more years.

I normally have made the Roth IRA contributions by this time of the year from a bonus payout from my employer. This year, however, no bonus is being given. I could probably squeeze enough "new money" from our cash flow between now and next April to fully fund the Roths but it would be difficult. My question is, does it make any sense to fund the Roths by simply moving some money ($3500 each) from the taxable account? Is doing so even "legal"?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42545 of 75532
Subject: Re: Question about funding a Roth IRA Date: 10/1/2004 6:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yes it is legal. As long as you had $3500 in earned income.

Yes it makes sense. The funds in the taxable account will generate taxable income. Qualified withdrawals from a Roth will not, nor do earnings on funds inside a Roth.

buzman

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42546 of 75532
Subject: Re: Question about funding a Roth IRA Date: 10/1/2004 7:39 PM
Certaily it is legal if you have that much income. And, for a Roth, it makes sense, even if you take the money out in only a few years.

Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42553 of 75532
Subject: Re: Question about funding a Roth IRA Date: 10/2/2004 5:08 PM
Just to be clear, if your wife is retired and no longer has earned income, I don't believe she can contribute. Unless it's a spousal IRA. The IRS site can explain limits on contributions to those.

3MM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement