UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: n7049 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: Question About IRA Overcontribution Date: 12/21/1999 10:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello all,

This is my first post, and while I did look several places on this site (and a few others) for the solution, I must admit that I did not check everywhere.

Anyway, I am a college student in my early twenties and I have had a Roth IRA for a couple of years. I usually contribute $2000 from savings at the beginning of the year and then earn at least that much through one or more part-time jobs. However, this year I transferred schools at the end of the spring semester and didn't work much during the summer or fall. During the rush to adjust to a new campus, I must admit that I sort of forgot about the IRA.

Now it is days to the end of the year, and I realize that I am at least $1000 short of my goal. I am not currently in a position to earn what I need before January 1st. Is it possible to just pay taxes on the difference and leave it in the account? If not, can I somehow have the difference credited to the next tax year?

I realize I need to contact the IRA manager and have it taken care of. However, I would like to know my options before I make that call. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide!

Regards,
n7049
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement