No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all,

This is my first post, and while I did look several places on this site (and a few others) for the solution, I must admit that I did not check everywhere.

Anyway, I am a college student in my early twenties and I have had a Roth IRA for a couple of years. I usually contribute $2000 from savings at the beginning of the year and then earn at least that much through one or more part-time jobs. However, this year I transferred schools at the end of the spring semester and didn't work much during the summer or fall. During the rush to adjust to a new campus, I must admit that I sort of forgot about the IRA.

Now it is days to the end of the year, and I realize that I am at least $1000 short of my goal. I am not currently in a position to earn what I need before January 1st. Is it possible to just pay taxes on the difference and leave it in the account? If not, can I somehow have the difference credited to the next tax year?

I realize I need to contact the IRA manager and have it taken care of. However, I would like to know my options before I make that call. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.