Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: BordWithPrevName Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 707  
Subject: Question about selling Morgan ms-65's Date: 4/13/2011 6:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I know next to nothing about collecting or selling numismatic coins. Recently a friend asked me to sell a handfull of Morgan ms-65 pcgs (non toned) silver dollars with common dates and common mint locations. They are housed in the OGH (Old green holders) which appear to command higher prices than other holders.

Sellers on ebay realize somewhere between $170 to $300 for these coins (minus shipping and insurance). It appears to depend on their reputation, the photo's and obviously the quality of the coin regardless of the pcgs rating or the old green holders. Ebay takes 9% plus 3% (paypal fee) plus the listing fee.

Some of the photo's are outstanding. The techniques they use to get these kind of photo's or scans is beyond me. I have tried different techniques and as of yet I am unable to get the results many of these sellers get.

There is a local coin shop that offered me $160 each. I could simply sell the lot all at once and avoid the fluctuations in the market by locking in at that figure.
Also I would avoid the substantial hassle and potential pitfalls of selling them on ebay.

Of course the coins could keep going up as they appear to be in a bull market right now. Or they could obviously go down in value.
I guess I am just looking for some advice on how to proceed with these coins. You are the experts and I am the green newbie.

I have one more question. Is there a correlation between the bull market in silver and these Morgan ms-65 numismatic coins rising in value? I believe I read somewhere that these coins sold for somewhere around $1100 sometime during the 80's.

Thanks for any advice.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement