UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wpr101 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, I understand there is some max income you can have before you are not allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA. The issue for me is I have steady income from normal job at 56k a year. But then I have variable income from playing poker which will vary from year to year. This year it was a little over 50k, which I believe puts me above the Roth contribution limit. The gambling winnings were declared under "Other Income". I'm going to consult my tax advisor about this but was wondering if anyone has info on this? Thank you.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61203 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 11:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The income limits for Roth IRA contributions are based on your Adjusted Gross Income with some modifications. So it includes all of your income from all sources.

--Peter

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61204 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 12:28 PM
Hi, I understand there is some max income you can have before you are not allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA. The issue for me is I have steady income from normal job at 56k a year. But then I have variable income from playing poker which will vary from year to year. This year it was a little over 50k, which I believe puts me above the Roth contribution limit. The gambling winnings were declared under "Other Income". I'm going to consult my tax advisor about this but was wondering if anyone has info on this? Thank you.

At around $106k, you can partially contribute to a Roth IRA. You can find the income limits in Publication 590.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p590/ch02.html#d0e9254

401k contributions with reduce your MAGI. If you made some in 2007, you may find out you could make your full contribution to a Roth IRA depending on size of your 401k contributions and other income you failed to list. You will need to calculate your MAGI and compare it to the table in Publication 590.

For 2008, you could plan to make 401k contributions to reduce your MAGI so you can contribute to a Roth IRA.

Author: wpr101 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61205 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info. If I am unable to contribute to the Roth IRA do I just hold onto it? Or would it make more sense to transfer it to a Traditional IRA account? If I keep the Roth I guess there will be some years where I can contribute and others I cannot depending on where that variable income level is. However, as my regular salary goes up it will become increasingly unlikely I can contribute to the Roth.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61206 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 1:54 PM
If I am unable to contribute to the Roth IRA do I just hold onto it? Or would it make more sense to transfer it to a Traditional IRA account?

You can't. Besides, it would make no sense to trade tax-free future earnings for taxable future earnings.

Phil

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61207 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 2:00 PM
If I am unable to contribute to the Roth IRA do I just hold onto it?

Yes, you just hold onto it and let it grow. In the years that you can contribute, I would recommend doing so. You never know how things will change relative to your income and even the tax laws, so having that money invested and growing and adding as you are allowed is a reasonable plan.

We are in a similar situation where we have only been able to contribute to a Roth IRA twice, but there is a chance that we will be below the income limits for 2007, and if we are, then I will make a 3rd contribution into both DH's and my Roth. Since my DH is self-employed, his income fluctuates wildly, so I just wait until I do our taxes, and if we are elibible, that's when I make the contribution.

You may find a similar strategy works in your situation as well.

Author: wpr101 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61208 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 2:48 PM
Yeah, I guess just letting it grow makes the most sense. I know that most advisors say max out the 401k up to the match, then max out a Roth, and if you want to contribute more after then up your 401k further.

Would it make sense if I am not doing the Roth to increase my 401k allocation? Does it depend how old I am?

Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61210 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 9:35 PM
Yeah, I guess just letting it grow makes the most sense. I know that most advisors say max out the 401k up to the match, then max out a Roth, and if you want to contribute more after then up your 401k further.

The problem with just listening to most advisors is they cannot cover all the exceptions. Your case represents an exception. Why? Because you have a lot of variable income covered in the "other income" category. In your case, it is to your advantage to contribute more to your 401k so your MAGI ends up lower, potentially making you fully qualified to make a Roth contribution.

Would it make sense if I am not doing the Roth to increase my 401k allocation?

Yes, see above.

Does it depend how old I am?

Yes, over age 50 has catch-up contributions

Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61212 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/28/2008 10:25 PM
The issue for me is I have steady income from normal job at 56k a year. But then I have variable income from playing poker which will vary from year to year. This year it was a little over 50k, which I believe puts me above the Roth contribution limit.

Are you sure you are over the MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income) limit? If your income is $106k before 401(k) contributions and FSA or HSA deductions, and you have put as little as $7k toward those items, you are eligible for a full Roth contribution for 2007. The MAGI phase-out limit for 2007 for a single person is $99k - $114k. Which means even if $106k is your MAGI, you are still eligible for a partial contribution of just over half of your maximum contribution amount.

Please see IRS publication 590 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf) on how to calculate MAGI before completely ruling out a Roth contribution for 2007.

And note that the phase-out range is increase to $101k - $116k for 2008.

And to answer your question from your later post: Would it make sense if I am not doing the Roth to increase my 401k allocation?

Increasing your 401(k) contribution can drop your MAGI below the cutoff limit for a Roth, so it may make even more sense to increase your 401(k) contribution if you still want to contribute to a Roth and can afford to do both.

AJ

Author: wpr101 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61215 of 75383
Subject: Re: Question about the income limit in Roth IRA Date: 1/29/2008 9:41 AM
Sweet, it looks like my 401k contributions will keep my MAGI below the limit for this year. Thanks for all the info.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement