No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello to any and all who are that stage of nearing retirement in the next few years. I am struggling with a strategy. Here are my circumstances:

Bucket 1 - Our stock investment account representing 38% of our portfolio. This fund is meant to finance the first two to ten years of retirement expenses

Bucket 2 - My IRA account representing 35% of our portfolio. This fund is meant to finance, along with any Bucket 1 spillover, years 11-20 of retirement expenses

Bucket 3 - My wife's IRA representing 27% of our portfolio. This fund is meant to finance, along with any Bucket 2 spillover, years 21-30 of retirement expenses.

Our history is one of throwing away tens of thousands of dollars to CFP's with poor results and even poorer support in a mish mash of mutual funds and bonds. I loathe bonds in this current environment, and think less of holding on to 10% of cash, even 5. I want to invest virtually all of it, and be all in rather than having 5 or 10% sitting waiting for the next opportunity.

My question has to do with asset allocation. Should I asset allocate each of these three investment accounts separately? Can I not achieve the same thing by using an overall asset allocation for the entire portfolio. My thinking is Bucket 1 would include the more buttoned-down lg cap dividend payers and dividend etf's. The middle bucket with more mid and small cap investing. Bucket 3 with the more speculative investments?

Sorry to go but also if anyone is aware of the conflicting philosophies of whether MLP's should stay in IRA's or if they should be removed from them all together in regular investment accounts. I have heard that IRA tax shelter protection is not a panacea for defraying tax obligations until later.

My gratitude to anyone who can wade through this and offer an opinion.

Thanks,

Jay
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement