UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 9:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm seeing some great posts here about people's dreams. My question of the day is: what are you doing today toward those dreams *other* than saving the money?

Just from my experience, saving the money hasn't been enough to keep me motivated (watching the funds grow is like watching paint dry right now). Plus, because I'm impatient, I've already started trying to think of ways to work toward, or even reach, my dream (opening a wine bar) without having to wait until I've accumulated the requisite 30X expenses.

I look forward to seeing your posts!

CK
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 83 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Good question CK....

I am doing things like visiting boat shows, reading a lot of books about the cruising lifestyle and learning celestial navigation...

I'm also planning to bareboat charter a couple of times between now and ER, to be sure I'll like the lifestyle...

Chuck

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 10:17 AM
I'm with Tiki Chuck on this one. I am long away from my dream, but I do some things to try to keep it alive. This board is one of them. ChocoKitty, you are right as rain when you say that watching mutual funds is as fun as watching paint dry...So why not do all the things to get started w/out the money? I know that sounds weird, but why not? Put together a wine list...Take trips to various wine regions...Strike up relationships with vinters in your area...Starting looking at commercial space to lease...etc...Its better than watching paint dry.

So lets hear about your wine bar...

Gekko II

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 88 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 0
you said...

"What are you doing today toward those dreams *other* than saving the money?"

Personally, I am in the worse possible financial position to think about my bar dream. I am just out of school (which lasted forever, or so it seems), I am working part-time only b/c I have the bar exam @the end of this month, and thereafter (if successful) I will be starting a law practice on a shoe string while trying to support my family. I would bet that everyone on this board is closer financially to their dreams than I am.

So, what do I do w/no money. Well, this board is one thing. I also do some planning with my friend and potential partner as to the organization of our business. In doing so, we might incorporate or form a LLC, all which can be done @ a minimum of cost. We also pledge to take 1 to 2 trips per year for scouting out areas we might like to set up shop (its tough work :o)). I am going to do some research on liquor licenses, tax structures of different locales, etc. Our intial thought was that because neither one of us will be able to pull up stakes within the near future, we might buy a building w/in the next 5-8 years and lease it out to pay off the mortgage while we're freezing in New England.

Anyway, thats what I'm doing now. Can't wait to sip a montepulcino in your wine bar some day ChocoKitty...

Gekko II

Author: llinden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 10:38 AM
CK wrote: I'm seeing some great posts here about people's dreams. My question of the day is: what are you doing today toward those dreams *other* than saving the money?

Chocco Kitty, my question is related - how to stay motivated when I'm burning out. I'm 49 and have 5 years and 8 months til early retirement, if I can stay motivated. I'm self-employed so goof off time means no income. I should be finishing a report but instead am browsing the retire early boards. It helps to know that other souls out there are tired of watching the paint dry!! <g> Postin from sunny Florida - Laurie

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 11:13 AM
You said...

"I'm 49 and have 5 years and 8 months til early retirement, if I can stay motivated."

If it makes you feel any better, I have 27 years before I hit my goal...

-Gekko II

Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 91 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 1:38 PM
Well, there is that plan of what will I be doing, how am I enjoying my life now, and last but not least, what step did I take today to get there.

For me, saving is this boring routine almost automatic thing so I do find other things to do as well as try to learn about ME since I'm pretty sure I haven't flushed out all of my talents or skills along with being part of a moving world.

The other side is that you have to in some way enjoy the ride while you get to retirement or else I think most of us could be in for a surprise not unlike when someone goes off their diet and just eats and eats and eats. ;-)

JB

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 2:47 PM
Good point JB...Plan for the future while still living for today. -Gekko II

Author: baanista One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 1/31/2001 10:22 PM
This attitude -

In the middle of late last night I was sittin' on a curb
I didn't know what about but I was feeling quite disturbed
A street sweeper came whistlin' by
He was bouncin' every step
It seemed strange how good he felt
So I asked him while he swept

Chorus
He said "It's my job to be cleaning up this mess
And that's enough reason to go for me
It's my job to be better than the rest
And that makes the day for me"

Might help to keep you from feeling like this -

People are movin' so quickly.
Humor's in need of repair.
Same occupations and same obligations;
they've really got nothing to share,
like drivin' around with no spare.

While total, absolute burnout makes it easy to make the break to early retirement, you do need to last long enough to make it happen. Lucky for me I am a natural born day dreamer. Master the art of letting your mind wander. You will appear far more attentive during those long meetings and everyone will think you are on their side.

Regards,
Baanista

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 381
Subject: Re: Question for those on the board Date: 2/1/2001 8:20 AM
Baanista, you are quite quotable. "Master the art of letting your mind wander" - LOVE IT!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement