Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (77) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442417  
Subject: Re: Women, Listen Up! Date: 1/24/2013 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

Question for you or anyone else that wants to chime in. Based on my own anecdotal observations, long marriages or divorces tend to run in families. Families that have long stable marriages tend to have children that will have stable marriages. Families where there are a number of divorces in past generations will tend to continue that trend. I could be that the model we've chosen for our finances is something that also worked with parents and grandparents.

PSU

I don't know how true that is. My mother and father never divorced, but I was led to believe (somewhere along the way) that they stayed together because of me. I don't know how true that is, either. I do know that they were blue-collar, hard working people who never had anything like what we would call savings. My father was sick for many many years and the insurance company finally cancelled his healthcare policy. What happened after that, I'm not sure. I think maybe they had only one bank account - and maybe a bank savings account. I married the first time very young and left home so I don't really know.

My marriage (the first one) lasted 18 years. So it wasn't exactly an overnight thing. My current marriage has lasted over 30 years. He still thinks I'm cute. :) I wonder, often, about his eyesight.

We both came into the marriage having been married before. In my marriage I had literally no power. I wasn't mistreated physically - but often took an emotional blow. I grew to be very unhappy. In his marriage, his wife spent every penny she could get her hands on and he was still paying off her bills when I met him.

As has been said here, everyone's situation and history is different. And everyone will, of course, decide for themselves how to handle finances. But I still maintain that both (male and female) should always have money that belongs only to them that they manage, invest, spend as they choose - and which, if circumstances change somewhere down the road and they need to leave, will afford them the power to do it.

That just doesn't sound unreasonable to me. For anyone.

:)

AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (77) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement