UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308858  
Subject: Re: Poll: student loans...why?/how? Date: 8/18/2003 8:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
QUESTION: I need(ed) a student loan to continue my education and will/have:
(thanks in advance for your insight!)

Most of my friends had student loans because their families couldn't pay full tuition, plus board, fees, books, etc, and whatever scholarships they had didn't quite cut it, and whatever they'd make working in their spare time wasn't going to do it, either. Many of them took classes all summer (or at least half of it), and so working overtime in the summer wasn't really an option, either. And you do need more stuff now than 30 years ago - a computer is pretty much a necessity (Yea, there are some available for student use, but time on them is generally at a premium, and some schools now are starting to require that students have their own). Not to mention that stuff is just a lot more expensive now.

I was EXTREMEMLY lucky in that my grandfather had set aside some cash to collect dust & interest, and by the time I was in college it had collected enough interest to pay tuition, books, fees, and board - through all 4 years - plus buy me a computer. Everyone else I knew had to rely on some combination of loans, work study programs, scholarships, and ROTC.

And that was just undergrad, at one of the cheaper private schools in the country (rated a "best educational buy" by US News, FWIW).

Kaiti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement