No. of Recommendations: 1
Question: if I don't mind/can afford the related taxes, can I recharacterize (or convert?) some or all of the IRA's to Roths?

As long as you meet the AGI requirements, you can convert your traditional IRA to a Roth. You can convert any amount you wish. However, in the year you turn 70 1/2, you must take your Required Minimum Distribution before you can convert any of your traditional IRA.

One thing to watch out for is ending up with all of your retirement income being tax-free. Then you will end up wasting your personal exmptions and deductions, effectively paying taxes early that were not necessary to pay at all.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.