UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: middlearth Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Question on child credit. Date: 11/9/2000 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can a 17 year old child who has earned income and files his own return still be claimed as a dependant for the child credit deduction? Thanks.
Eddie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26055 of 74759
Subject: Re: Question on child credit. Date: 11/9/2000 5:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Can a 17 year old child who has earned income and files his own return still be claimed as a dependant for the child credit deduction?

No. Aside from the fact that the child must be a dependent, the child must also be under 17 at the end of the year.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26056 of 74759
Subject: Re: Question on child credit. Date: 11/9/2000 5:57 PM
A little clarification on my prior response. The child may be a dependent, but won't qualify for the child tax credit. See the FAQ and IRS Publication 501 for rules on determining dependency.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: middlearth Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26122 of 74759
Subject: Re: Question on child credit. Date: 11/13/2000 2:02 PM
>>A little clarification on my prior response. The child may be a dependent, but won't qualify for the child tax credit. See the FAQ and IRS Publication 501 for
rules on determining dependency.<<

The child IS a dependent - will be 17 in Feb, but has also had "some" earned income through a p/t job, and some dividend income through investments. So, can he still be used as a deduction on child tax credit? Thanks.
Eddie

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26123 of 74759
Subject: Re: Question on child credit. Date: 11/13/2000 4:57 PM
The child IS a dependent - will be 17 in Feb, but has also had "some" earned income through a p/t job, and some dividend income through investments. So, can he still be used as a deduction on child tax credit?

Maybe. If the child will be 17 in February 2001 that makes the child 16 at the end of 2000. Thus the child will meet the age requirement for the child tax credit in 2000, but not in 2001.

As for dependency, you don't provide enough information to determine whether the child will qualify as your dependent. If the child does not qualify as your dependent, you cannot take the child tax credit with respect to that child.

Since the child will be under 19 at the end of 2000, you don't have to worry about the gross income test for dependency. The other four tests still apply. You can read about them in the IRS publication or in the Tax FAQ's: http://www.fool.com/School/Taxes/TaxFaqIndex.htm.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement