Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: scollywaltz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Question re: 1099-B Date: 4/18/2011 12:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't deserve to have anyone help me, as I've literally waited until the last second to do my taxes; but I'm crossing my fingers anyway, because I'm having trouble getting through to TurboTax (go figure!).

Situation: I received an award of Restricted Stock units from my employer on 3/8/2007:
- 1/3 (118 shares) of these vested in 2008,
- 1/3 (118 shares) vested in 2009, and
- 1/3 (118 shares) vested in 2010.
(It's likely that I messed up prior tax returns; and as soon as I finish this one, I'll verify and refile if necessary.)

I have not touched this stock; but when each set of shares vested, apparently some shares (41 in 2010) were sold to cover taxes. (If that's true, why do I have to report this at all??? This doesn't make any sense to me.) That leaves 77 shares that were awarded to me, which again, I haven't touched.

Per the broker, the shares were worth $13.96 each when I "received them" and $14.92 when sold, resulting in a gain that must be reported I guess...although again, if this was taken for taxes, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why this is necessary.

The statement mentions:
- exercise date (3/10/2010)
- settlement date (3/15/2010)
- grant price ($0)
- exercise FMV ($13.96)
- Sale price ($14.32)
but the rows don't align up the way I would expect (for example Exercise Date lines up with Grant Price, not Exercise FMV); so I think that's part of what's throwing me off.

The specific questions I'm trying to answer within TurboTax (Premiere) are:
- Date option granted
- Exercise price per share
- Date option exercised
- Fair market value – exercise date (per share)
- Number of shares transferred

I know this will seem straightforward to many; but I am a dummy. So if anyone can make heads or tails of this and help me answer the questions above, I would appreciate it...and not hold you accountable for giving actual tax advice. :)

Thanks,
scollywaltz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement