Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: milleniumfalcon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Question: Taxes & Grad School Date: 6/24/2001 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all -

Here's the situation as it stands. I work for Saint Louis University in (where else?) - Saint Louis. I am currently taking undergraduate classes in the College of Arts & Sciences in Communications. I have about 12 credits to go.

I already have bachelors degrees in philosophy. I am taking some three hunded level courses in communications so that I can get into the graduate program, my main interests being technology and communication. (How'd ya like to be part of a Thesis TMF?! LOL)

Currently my workplace pays for 100% of my undergraduate coursework. They will also pay for my graduate classes. My understanding is that under current tax law, I will have to pay for the taxes on my graduate school courses as they count as part of my income. In fact, at SLU the whole tax burden comes out of three successive checks. (OUCH!!)

I have heard the GWB has changed or is changing that tax law regarding grad schools. If true how has it changed? What kind of tax break is it, if there is one...and how much is it? When does it go into effect, and when does it end?

I know I am asking prematurely since I don't plan on being it Gead School til next year, but being prepared is always a part of being successful.

Waiting with bated breath for knowlegable replies.

milleniumfalcon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement