Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I bought a home in December 2000. I am now considering going to graduate school in another part of the country starting in September 2002. I could rent the place out, but I think I'd prefer to sell it. From what I've heard I think I'm subject to big taxes on the gain from the sale of the home if I sell it before December 2002.

My question is: Does relocation for eductaion purposes meet the exemption requirement? I've read that relocation for employment can expemt you from having to pay taxes on your gain, and I'm wondering if the same applies to education.

Or, if anyone knows of any other circumstances that may exempt me, I'm all ears!!


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.