UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: silverwing101 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42361  
Subject: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi, everyone. I'm a fourth grade teacher in Washington state. I've been working on putting my paper gradebook online, and I wanted to get input from parents on some things.

With my online gradebook, parents can see current grades, missing work, days absent and even days tardy. I'm putting up a website that will have current spelling lists, a daily schedule with assignments - for students who are absent, class handbook, and misc. forms we use.

So, as a parent of an elementary child (or think back to when your kids were younger, or think about when your child starts to walk) what would you find useful for a class website/gradebook? Would you use it?

Thanks!

silverwing101
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7516 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
what would you find useful for a class website/gradebook? Would you use it?

Brief comments on behavior. Something like: week of 11/12, noticed a difficulty in sitting still to do work this week. or week of 9/4, earned a "citizenship" award for helping X with Y.

My daughter is in 1st grade, and both this year and last year, she's had some behavior difficulty that I didn't know about right away.

Ishtar

Author: silverwing101 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7517 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
Brief comments on behavior. Something like: week of 11/12, noticed a difficulty in sitting still to do work this week. or week of 9/4, earned a "citizenship" award for helping X with Y.
My daughter is in 1st grade, and both this year and last year, she's had some behavior difficulty that I didn't know about right away.

It sounds to me that this would be better in an email - like an emailed behavior report?

Or a phone call. With my behavior problem kids, parents get called.

silverwing - not saying your daughter is a behavior problem. But calls seem to work well.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7518 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 5
How are you going to handle security?

I can tell you that even if my kid was absolutely perfect and never caused any problems whatsoever and got straight A's across the board, I'd be pretty upset if that information was available to anyone who looked at your website.

- T.

ps: of course my daughter IS absolutely perfect and never causes problems whatsoever... but she's only 14 months old. Give her time. ;)

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7519 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:56 PM
not saying your daughter is a behavior problem. But calls seem to work well

I don't know. In Kindergarten, despite several conversations with the teacher on other topics, I didn't find out until the end of Nov that she'd had problems from day one. I invited the teacher to call me at work and she never did.

This year, her teacher is better.

I guess it would depend on whether or not the page with her info is able to be viewed by all parents or only me.

Ishtar

Author: silverwing101 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7520 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:56 PM
I'm using Gradepal - an online gradebook, that is password protected. I'll only give the username and password to parents -either verbally or if they give me their email themselves (I'll confirm it if a student gives it to me.) The website is just general stuff everyone needs.

Thanks for bringing up the security issue, though!

silverwing

Author: silverwing101 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7521 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 12:58 PM
I guess it would depend on whether or not the page with her info is able to be viewed by all parents or only me.

From what I can tell, the comments section if just for the parents. It's part of the grades, so only those with their unique username/password are able to see it.
silverwing

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7522 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 3:09 PM
silverwing,

Wow! That's an awesome idea. I wish my kid's teachers would do something similar. I particularly like the idea of being able to check spelling words and current homework assignments. Will you also have an email address for parents to get in touch with you with questions and/or feedback. There are many times that communicating with my kid's teachers thorugh email woudl come in handy. Obviously, this wouldn't replace face to face meetings or handle serious issues, but I could see where it might be useful.

Rebecca

Author: silverwing101 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7523 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 3:15 PM
Hi, Rebecca,

Yep, parents can email me. Spelling words are a definate must, and this will also help me not copy list after list - the kids take home the words after the pretest with corrections. Words are posted in the room, too. So if they lost the list, they can either copy it or print out a copy.

Maybe, and I may be dreaming here at this point, I will have worksheets scanned and uploaded for students. I have a scanner in my room, so I just need to teach the kids how to use it. But I'll only have a small handful of parents using this service right now. Most don't have internet access, but the ones that do will love it. (It'll be handy when I change schools next year or year after.)

silverwing

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7524 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 4:21 PM
I will have worksheets scanned and uploaded for students.

Better check to ensure you don't violate any copyright restrictions, first.

- T.

Author: esster Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7525 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 8:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
Better check to ensure you don't violate any copyright restrictions, first.

Not that schools are overly careful on copyright in the first place...

One suggestion I'd have for worksheets is converting them to Word so you can make web forms with them. Scanning seems like a good idea, but it's no more technologically advanced than faxing them home, and in the long run...

As for parents without a computer at home, I'd strongly advise finding out about free internet services in your community (ie libraries etc.) and sending home an information sheet so that parents could learn where and how to get access so they *can* participate, if they want to.

Ess

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7526 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 9:11 PM
Not that schools are overly careful on copyright in the first place...

Well... depends. I've heard stories.

My concern is something like this:

... teacher uploads material to webpage.

... student (or parent) gets pissy and tattles to the publisher.

From then on out, that particular school district is real careful about copyright infringement.

- T.

Author: esster Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7527 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 9:51 PM
From then on out, that particular school district is real careful about copyright infringement.

A valid concern. Not to mention the fact that copying materials for use in a classroom would be a minor infringement over putting material in the public domain. While password security would probably stop a elementary school hacker (where a teacher stores the passwords would probably be the greatest rik for that lot), it won't do much for someone serious about access. A few kids' grades might not be worth hacking for, but an entire curriculum might!

Ess
..but I still think the site is a great idea. The internet is a fabulous tool for getting information out and getting your students and their parents used to using it will benefit them exponentially.

Author: esster Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7528 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 9:53 PM
oh, and student (or parent) gets pissy and tattles to the publisher.

Why, oh why, is it that the whiners in the world always ruin everything?

Ess

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7529 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/25/2001 11:11 PM
FWIW, I homeschool my kids. There are tons of materials you can get online without hitting any copywrite problems. I don't know what curriculum you are using, but depending upon the publisher, many of them have worksheets online already. All you would have to do is "cut & paste" or something along that line.
You mentioned spelling. I don't know if you know it, but Scripps-Howard (the National Spelling Bee) has a website. In the site, they have a free, downloadable Paideia (the spelling reference book).
Here's the site for it:
http://www.spellingbee.com/audiopaideia.shtml
Depending upon what the other subjects are, I can probably direct you to something that will fit.

Author: DisplacedTexan Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7530 of 42361
Subject: Re: Question to parents from teacher Date: 11/26/2001 7:43 AM
silverwing101:my behavior problem kids

What an interesting way to categorize children.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement