UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976602  
Subject: Questionable statements? Date: 4/11/2012 6:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
A recent thread made me think about something that might be of interest to many of you. The thread was about a story written about a stolen bike and it assumed things that seemed to upset some people. That got me to thinking about something I might say to someone else that might upset quite a few people here.

I lived in the DC area for some time and I worked in downtown DC for awhile. If something was stolen outside of the building I worked in it was likely stolen by an African-American. Why would I assume that you ask? At the time DC was between 65 and 70 percent African-American and the building I worked in, as well as the surrounding buildings contained about 60 percent African-American employees. The people who walked by the building were probably more than 60 percent likely to be African-American. The police who patrolled our area were more than 70 percent African-American primarily due to the majority African-American population in that area.

That was many years ago and I recently read the following article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/black-dc-residents-plumm...

Interestingly, times have changed and even though I may still make the same assumptions, they are based on out of date information. I spoke with a friend who still works in DC although not in that same building. He said that area (the building we both worked in) is now primarly Asian-American. It was near Chinatown anyway and I would guess that Chinatown has simply expanded. That would mean that if something was stolen near that building NOW it's likely that the culprit would be an Asian-American.

Assumptions can lead to questionable statements but I'm not sure you can claim they're all racist simply because of the assumption made. Am I racist for having those assumptions?

Calabogie (reflective today)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement