Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: corner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25242  
Subject: Questioning Qualified Plans Date: 5/20/2004 8:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
About 18 months ago, I read a book by Nelson Nash entitled "Becoming Your Own Banker". I have experienced a big paradigm change from reading it. Mr. Nash says there is only one pool of money in the world. At first I was mystified by this statement. As I thought about it in light of alot of other points he made in his book, I realized I was conditioned to believe that I needed to be putting aside money from "today's pool" into a "future pool". Now I view that as faulty thinking and now I apply a much, much better way to use money that enhances its value in the present and in the furture simultaneously. The better way is to keep all my money in the present and capitalize myself using the very same dollars I was squirreling away every month into a future pool via qualified plans, like 401(k)s. Now when I need to buy a car or fix my roof, I can bank with myself, setting myself up on monthly payments plus interest to meet my current needs. The more I do this, the more I will have in the future. I used to think "rate of return" was important. Now, for me, use of money is far more important. And I do not have to be concerned with what the government might give or take away next, nor about the volitilaty of the stock market. All I have to know is how much I can save each month and put into my own "bank". What is my own bank? I imagine some fools may scoff. But my own bank is a whole life dividend paying policy with a mutual company. I am not concerned with the face amount, but only how much I want to put in each month. It builds values fast and captures the profitability of the life insurance company with dividends paid to the policy, whether or not I have the money out using it.

Corner

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement