Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121567  
Subject: Re: Penalty for underpayment due to capital gain Date: 10/20/1999 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Questions: 1) Was I suppose to pay taxes on the capital gains as they were realized. I had
assumed that I could wait until the end of the year, since I could have losses that would offset
the gains. 2) If I pay 105% of the taxes that I paid in 1998, then have I found a Safe Harbor?

With the increase in salary it looks like your withholding this year will just about equal 1998 taxes. Make sure it does with an extra withholding if necessary, then nothing more due until you file in April. Your safe harbor is 100% of 1998 taxes since your AGI waas under $150K.

Next year, this won't work because you'll expect lower taxes than 1999. Your withholding covers normal income but I suggest you calculate your tax due each quarter and pay an installment, or better yet, wait till November and pay enough in extra withholding so total withholding is at least 90% of what you estimate 2000 taxes will be. This can get dicey, but the worst that can happen is the withholding covers the first 3 quarters for a safe harbor and you pay an installment in January for any year end suprises, and file a 2210 and Schedule AI, which TurboTax will do for you if you have the right quarterly information. Or get a 2210 Calculator if you don't use TT.

You don't have to pay a preparer to do a 2210. You can tell him not to, and you do it and staple it to your return.. Ed
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement