Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwinDeltaTandem Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196929  
Subject: Questions about Catholic Apologetics Date: 11/7/2001 8:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
This thread picks up on the Mormon sermon thread, which became more about Catholic apologetics.

Question for you: Why do some non catholic churches name their church St. Jerome or St. "whatever" when they seem (to me) to deny them otherwise?

It depends on the traditions of the denomination. Often, the saint after whom the church, etc., is named is a saint of that particular denomination. It could be an apostle or other figure from the Bible, or a saint of the early pre-schism church.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "deny them." A protestant denomination would not name a church after a "recent" saint of the Catholic church--why would they? Would the Catholic church name something after a protestant saint? But this doesn't mean that protestants believe a particular Catholic saint to be damned.

Mother Teresa is a great example of a Catholic who is held in almost universal high regard by protestants. In fact, I can't tell you how many sermons I've heard that have focused on her. Her singular focus on Christ is what appeals to me the most.

I would advise is caution on your part as to how you treat God's mother.

This reminds me of that margerine commercial "It's not nice to fool mother nature!"

When you say "God's mother" you mean something different than I. That being said, your underlying presumption is that I'm treating God's mother in a bad way. I'm not. All generations will call her blessed. I call her blessed. Being concerned for people who seem to place their faith in Mary is in no way disrespectful to Mary. I'm aware of no prayer uttered in the Bible to anyone other than God. That's not to say that Mary no longer exists. Does she hear your prayers? I don't know. If she does, will she pass them on to Christ? I don't know. But there's not a single example in scripture of anything like this happening, is there? An idol is anything that comes between me and God. Could it be that Mary has become an idol? I think that perhaps she has.

TDT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement