Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: coralville Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195756  
Subject: Questions about evil/satan Date: 1/11/2001 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The relationship between God and evil has long been a central issue in Christianity and is one of the points that atheists always bring up. These are not original questions, but I am curious as to what people here who believe that satan exists think. I would also be interested in the Islamic view.

1. Is satan a part of God's plan? If so, can he really be considered evil if his actions ultimately contribute to the greater good? In other words, does God require that satan be evil in order for God's purpose to be accomplished? In this case, satan becomes a somewhat tragic figure, a bit like Judas.

If satan is not part of God's plan, but instead is attempting to defeat God's plan, then what does this say about God's omnipotence if He allows evil to exist?

2. I have heard it argued that free will, the capacity to make moral choices, requires the existence of evil. Afterall, how can one have the free will to choose to do good without having the simultaneous option of doing evil? At the end times when satan is finally defeated, does that mean that the option of doing evil also ends (in other words, can evil exist independent of satan)? Would this also mean that we will no longer have free will or that free will becomes irrelevant (will we still have choices to make)?

3. Thomas Aquinas argued that evil was the absence of good. Others argue that evil is an active force, which would be more consistent with the concept of satan. If the latter, did satan create evil, i.e., is satan a creator? Or did satan simply uncover evil that already existed in the universe created by God (leaving the uncomfortable conclusion that God created evil)?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement