Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: texasmart One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 145  
Subject: questions from a beginner Date: 10/14/2004 2:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have only taken classes since this spring. My instructor said some old-time belly dancers think one should never pose in a way that displays the arm pits. Anyone else ever heard of such?

Another question: do most dancers have long hair? Would long as opposed to short and layered hair be more effective?

I'm a little bit undecided as to whether to continue. I don't think I'd feel comfortable wearing lots of the costumes--I have a hard time keeping straps up. But I definitely think belly dancing could help me with posture and balance. I may just keep doing classes, without performing as part of a troupe.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/14/2004 6:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have only taken classes since this spring. My instructor said some old-time belly dancers think one should never pose in a way that displays the arm pits. Anyone else ever heard of such?

Nonsense. How restrictive that would be. BTW, in Egypt, women remove ALL body hair. They use a method involving a piece of string.

Another question: do most dancers have long hair? Would long as opposed to short and layered hair be more effective?

Yes, most professional dancers have long hair. But there's no law that says you have to.

I have a hard time keeping straps up.

There are lots of ways to arrange your cotuming so that you don't have to worry about straps falling down. For instance, have you tried halter straps? I've also made lots of costumes that have an additional strap that goes horrizontally below the back of your neck and connects the left and right straps. It's also possible that you're just wearing your straps too loose - hike them up and see if that works.

Trini

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/15/2004 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
I have no intention of performing, ever. (Except for maybe my husband if I ever get married. Okay, not maybe - DEFINITELY.)

Don't quit dancing just because you don't want to perform, for goodness' sake!

As for the instructor, maybe her style and preferences don't suit you. Be sure to switch teachers every now and then.

frissy
Total newbie making it up as I go!

Author: texasmart One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/15/2004 12:29 PM
Hi, there, frissy,

I have no intention of performing, ever. (Except for maybe my husband if I ever get married. Okay, not maybe - DEFINITELY.)

Trouble is, I've already reached 50, still never married!
I did meet someone in a class who said her husband wasn't all that interested in seeing her dance.

I don't think my instructor has the prudish attitudes I commented on, so I'll probably stick with her. The great thing is, you can attend workshops by lots of different instructors, and pick up ideas from each one as you wish.

barb

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/15/2004 12:54 PM
Trouble is, I've already reached 50, still never married!

Please don't ever tell me that again! <sob!>

I did meet someone in a class who said her husband wasn't all that interested in seeing her dance.

I would hope my husband is more interested in me initiating sex than her husband is.

I don't think my instructor has the prudish attitudes...

Showing "a little pit" is wanton behavior?!

Author: texasmart One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/15/2004 3:02 PM
Please don't ever tell me that again! <sob!>

No need to worry--I'm just a late bloomer!

barb

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/15/2004 3:15 PM
No need to worry--I'm just a late bloomer!

Not helping!

I'm 26 and just had my first date this past August!

Author: Kilbia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/18/2004 9:28 AM
As for the instructor, maybe her style and preferences don't suit you. Be sure to switch teachers every now and then.

I'll vouch for this one! My first teacher was this hyperactive little slip of a girl - fabulous dancer, and I like her, and I learned plenty of stuff from her, but I "gel" much better with my current teacher. No small part of this is that we have similar builds, so I've learned a lot more moves and poses that look really good on me.

Also, I don't know if you caught my post in the "upcoming events" thread, but my teacher has made a point of hosting master classes/workshops as part of her curriculum, precisely because there are plenty of things that other dancers in the area do very well and she does not, and she wants us to have the most well-rounded education she can provide.

- Kilbia

Author: Kilbia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/18/2004 9:35 AM
I don't think my instructor has the prudish attitudes I commented on, so I'll probably stick with her.
Tee-hee; my teacher has proudly referred to herself as a "bra Nazi". Most of this, I think, comes from her attitude that belly dance should be something empowering, and probably a few too many times seeing it done in a more sleazy manner. So she is a bit of a stickler about costumes, though most of us are shy enough that we don't object to her requests.

She's made plenty of remarks about how "this isn't that kind of a show" when demonstrating techniques for an upcoming performance, but the only thing I really remember her flat-out telling us never to do is show the soles of our feet (there's one move where you draw up your knee and hop slightly, and you need to point your toes downward). Apparently showing the soles of your feet is either really vulgar or really insulting in some Middle Eastern cultures.

- Kilbia

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 145
Subject: Re: questions from a beginner Date: 10/19/2004 12:56 AM

Actually, my best friend's husband never showed interest in seeing her dance till she was demonstrating for some friends of hers and he really enjoyed the performance (just some hip articulations)

Then he started asking if she was going to practice around the house more :)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement