Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Questions on IRS tax treatment of foreign securities:

Dear fellow Fools,

1. Where may I find useful links (web sites) with information about the calculation and reporting of distributed gains (capital gains, dividends,etc.) on non-US securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.) purchased -- in non-US currency -- by an American residing outside the US?

2. Can anybody recommend a good book(s) or other informative resource(s) on the topic raised in Question 1 above?

3. More generally put, how can I ensure that I am properly reporting to the IRS? Does the IRS provide a Publication or detailed commentary on this subject?

Searching for solutions,

***Publication 54
"Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad" is accessible in both text and PDF format at:

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.