UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58865  
Subject: Queue Jumping in Canada Date: 6/9/2009 3:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
<<A lot of people with influence use it to jump the queue for healthcare in Ontario and they now can be seen to include celebrity journalists.
This can mean ordinary people with no special pull wait longer.

The way journalists can use clout has emerged because two of the most prominent in Toronto wrote about their involvement with the healthcare system.

Margaret Wente, a columnist with The Globe and Mail, described how she was helped to obtain a hip replacement quicker partly by ?pulling strings.?

She said her doctor told her she needed a hip replacement and the first surgeon she consulted was very grim and told her his waiting list was a year long.

The columnist decided to obtain another opinion and called ?a well-placed acquaintance,? who contacted another surgeon, who squeezed her in for an appointment within two days.

?At first, I felt uncomfortable pulling strings, but I got over it,? she wrote. ?After all, I would pull them for my mother.

?I found shortcuts. I asked for favours. At first, I felt guilty, but I was in pain and the pain was destroying my life.?
>>

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Columns/Archive/Dowd/1047580...

If Candian health care is so good, why do you get endless lists of examples of queue jumping by Googling up "Health Care Queue Jumping"?

Seattle Pioneer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement