UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HearNoEvil One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49426  
Subject: Quick resume question Date: 1/22/2013 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently overheard a hiring manager saying that it seem out-of-date for an applicant to include their address on their resume.

Is it common place these days to only include name, phone number, and email address? I would imagine very few companies correspond by paper any more, unless it is to send a formal offer letter.

What do you guys think? And if it's common to omit these, what type of formatting would you use? It looks sort of odd to me.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49061 of 49426
Subject: Re: Quick resume question Date: 1/22/2013 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I keep my postal address on my resume, so I guess I'm outdated too.

I know often the HR people send documents thru the mail or via FedEx if you get along the line in the hiring process.

I haven't seen any resumes with only email & phone yet, so I can't comment on format.

Author: AcctgToITandBack One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49062 of 49426
Subject: Re: Quick resume question Date: 1/22/2013 5:31 PM
Recommendations: 2
I would think that a potential employer would want to know whether you live near the job location, but I suppose it would depend on the job. My previous employer only hired local candidates because most of the jobs required the employee to be on-call 24/7. They would explicitly state this in each job posting, but they would still receive many resumes from people who lived two hours or more away and had no interest in relocating. When they occasionally received a resume without an address, it was discarded because they didn't have the time to contact the candidate to find out whether they were local or not.

I still include my address on my resume and will continue to do so, even if it does make me seem outdated.

Gina

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49063 of 49426
Subject: Re: Quick resume question Date: 1/23/2013 9:46 PM
The address is important on a resume since some companies in the still difficult economy will only hire locally because they do not want to pay relocation expenses.

Kahuna, CFA
Venture Capital Limited
Partnership Founding
General Partner 2012

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49069 of 49426
Subject: Re: Quick resume question Date: 1/28/2013 2:49 PM
My online resume does not have my street address (I do include city/state/zip so they know general area I'm in). My "official" resume (Word doc) that I send to recruiters/HR screeners I've already spoken to does include my full address.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement