UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10398  
Subject: Quicken 2006 Upgrade Date: 1/22/2006 8:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I received a letter this past week telling me that Intuit would be implementing their sunset policy for Q2003dlx on April 25, 2006. They included a $20 off certificate that could be used online to purchase the deluxe version for $40 compared to $60 at their website. Not satisfied that this was the best deal I checked at Amazon and their price was $53. So I tried eBay and found several people selling Quicken at a substantial discount. I picked up a copy of Q2006 Premier for $23.90 shipped to my door. It is an original CD-ROM (not a CDR) with an Intuit hologram near the center hole shipped in a sleeve with no box.

I spent some time Saturday deleting old files and removing programs I no longer need. Then I made a set of 8 backup CD's for all my personal data. I really need that DVD-R burner or an external hard drive! I also ran several disk utilities to clean up the registry, check the disk for errors then defragged it. The last thing I did was to create a restore point just before installing Q2006 Premier.

The installation went smoothly, with the program downloading an upgrade from release 1 to release 4 without incident. It then had me convert my 03 files to the new format and saved a copy of my old files in a special directory. Of course I already have an archive backup copy of these files on CD & ZIP disk.

The installation & file conversion went smoothly and everything appears to be correct and it only cost me a little time and less than $25. Hopefully I am set for another 3 years.

Kurt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7049 of 10398
Subject: Re: Quicken 2006 Upgrade Date: 1/23/2006 6:10 PM
Recommendations: 0
I just did a quick search on eBay for the Mac version and, once again, we're screwed! The cheapest completed item I found was $36 and most were in the mid $40's.

I think I'll talk to my sister and/or my SIL since they both bought Mac Minis and they aren't using Quicken 2005 that came with their computers. I'll give them $10-15 and tell them to delete it ;) ;) from their computer.

Not to say that extortion on Intuit's part justifies piracy, but it definitely sways my moral compass.

-murray

Author: folgore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7065 of 10398
Subject: Re: Quicken 2006 Upgrade Date: 1/28/2006 2:09 PM
Go eBay!

I did exactly the same thing: looked at Amazon.com, BestBuy, Circuit City, etc. All gave somewhat better prices than Intuit, but not by much. I then went to eBay and started monitoring auctions. I got very lucky and ended up with buying Quicken 2006 Premier for less than $20!

I also got TurboTax premier for a substantial discount over what all the other usual were charging -- ca $40.

It never fails to amaze me what you can find on eBay!

Author: kcesp One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7111 of 10398
Subject: Re: Quicken 2006 Upgrade Date: 2/5/2006 10:50 AM
I also received a letter this past week telling me that Intuit would be implementing their sunset policy for Q2003dlx on April 25, 2006. I originally started with Quicken in '98 and spent a week manually putting in almost 15 years worth of financial data. I loved it up until I decided to update to Q2003 deluxe. It messed up things a bit but I have learned to live with it and now I'm really relunctant to upgrade anymore. All I really need to do online is to update the daily stock quotes.
As I am only computer literate to a point, I would prefer to keep the Quicken version I have, but need the ability to obtain the daily stock quotes. Is there such an option available?
Thanks,
Ken

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement