UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65527  
Subject: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/19/2013 2:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Decided to try a few different options to hopefully enable me to find a more efficient money management software for my iMac (running ML). Remember I have old (Quicken 2004) on my vmWare Windows XP. Just wanted to eliminate having to fool with VmWare & Windows.

Read up on Quicken 2007 that its supposed to work with ML etc....downloaded and installed it yesterday. All menu options are grayed out and unusable. Removed it, tried to dl & install again, same problem. Called Quicken Support "we have free customer support now for Quicken, you can access it by going to Quicken.Com....customer support for the direct line access "etc...., did that - saw an option for live chat. Very efficient chat tech came online with a few minutes. relayed the problem. response was "did you purchase support?" Well, of course I didn't - I just downloaded it a few hours ago. Answer, free support is available for Quicken 2013 etc...not for older versions of Quicken!"

Refund, please (says I) more than a little annoyed......

So, back to the drawing board....:(
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62068 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/19/2013 3:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
#1 When this product
http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-...
was released, it was pretty clear this would work only on OSX 10.7 and further information as said that since 10.8 was released. Unless you have something saying what you downloaded will run on 10.8 from Intuit my guess is you are SOL with only an option to stop payment through your credit card.

Here is a product info listing.

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/lion-compatible-quick...

This is pretty typical of what I have read - short version, if it runs for you, good. If not, we never promised it would.
https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/153416-quicken-for-mac-2007...

Finally every single reference I have read makes it clean this $15 product imports data from Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006 and 2007. At the this product was released, it was very clear important any Windows data was not going to work.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62070 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/19/2013 7:48 PM
I just had a chat with Intuit support and asked about Mtn Lion compatibility. Here is their response:

I can confirm that Quicken 2007 for Lion works with Mountain Lion.

J

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62071 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/19/2013 8:27 PM
Recommendations: 3

I'd be happier if it said "I can confirm that Quicken 2007 for Lion works PROPERLY with Mountain Lion.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62073 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/20/2013 3:55 PM
free support is available for Quicken 2013 etc...not for older versions of Quicken…

Did you point out that Quicken 2007 for Mac is the current version?

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62075 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/20/2013 4:13 PM
Quicken tech support (via "chat") clearly explained to me that the only free support was for Quicken 2013....I also clearly explained that this was 2007 for the Mac and supposed to work with ML. He wouldn't answer anything until I bought "support" - you would think at least he would offer some assistance since I had just downloaded and installed it about 30 minutes before...

and he had the nerve to wish me "have a good day" - I was totally po'd however not surprised. :(

Have downloaded and installed iBank (30 day trial) as of yesterday. Am slowly item by item trying to manually add Quicken data from my accounts as of 1/1/13. Doing dual entry into both systems as I expense items so that if iBank won't take care of my rather simple needs, I'll just delete it....and try something else, yet again.

Interesting I've opened it (iBank) 2X and its crashed 2X! Not a good omen....

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62076 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/20/2013 7:25 PM
Interesting I've opened it (iBank) 2X and its crashed 2X! Not a good omen….

Combine this with Quicken having menu items greyed out and I might wonder if both programs are defective or if maybe there are problems with your 10.8 installation.

I just scanned the reviews for the current version of iBank in the MAS. While people are not jumping up and down to say how great it is, no one mentioned crashing. (I am hardly surprised on login/download issues being reported.)

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62080 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/21/2013 9:41 PM
I just had a chat with Intuit support and asked about Mtn Lion compatibility. Here is their response:

J
----–---------------------------

Works fine for me.

Birgit

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62082 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/22/2013 1:06 AM
Recommendations: 2
It works for me as well. In fact, I've had it running in ML longer than I had it running in Lion, since I spent so little time with Lion during my late transition away from Snow Leopard.

Nevertheless, I'd be ticked off if an Intuit rep told me it was not eligible for support.

-awlabrador

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62090 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/22/2013 12:51 PM
that was my point exactly - it wouldn't open/all options grayed out - I had just downloaded and installed. surely I was entitled to some support at this point......at least that's what I expected. Whether it would have run or not after a reconfiguration/reinstall etc....but at least, he could have provided some guidance (without me buying it within 30 minutes of the dl/install). that's what I find is lousy customer relations and Quicken even sent me a survey re. their support. You can bet I told them!!!!

Author: DejaVu04 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62129 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/27/2013 6:31 PM
I'd like to tag on to this discussion for some advice. I need to get a new computer and I want to switch to a Mac for mostly video reasons. The only thing that is causing me to hesitate is Quicken. I have about 4 years of history from my Windows program. What is my best option, or least worst? I had thought that installing VMWare or Parallels and installing Quicken for Windows was my solution. Am I wrong? Do you have any suggestions? I have only basic computer knowledge so doing something complicated with my computer(I can follow directions but I can't ad lib) and I really don't want to change financial software.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give.
Deja

Author: wadigo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62130 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/27/2013 6:54 PM
I have about 4 years of history from my Windows program. What is my best option, or least worst?

Why limit yourself to just one computer? They are inexpensive enough to have a cheapo windows for 'quicken', and an apple for other stuff. Surf the web on the Mac, keep the books on windows. Why must they (the programs) be on the same machine? That is what I have/do.

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62131 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/27/2013 7:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'd like to tag on to this discussion for some advice. I need to get a new computer and I want to switch to a Mac for mostly video reasons. The only thing that is causing me to hesitate is Quicken. I have about 4 years of history from my Windows program. What is my best option, or least worst? I had thought that installing VMWare or Parallels and installing Quicken for Windows was my solution.

You have a few options. There is Quicken for the Mac, and it will import Quicken for Windows data to some extent. It depends on how complex your data is - it will import basic banking information. Quicken for Mac is supposed to be less sophisticated than Quicken for Windows, but if you are doing basic banking either one will work. I'm not sure how different it is in terms of its interface but it is supposed to be similar to the Windows version.

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/convert-quicken-for-w...

However, as discussed earlier in this thread, Intuit has not been very Mac-friendly lately and it's unclear whether they will continue to support Quicken for Mac in the long term. (Which is sad, since they were one of the few companies that supported Mac through the dark years when Apple almost went under.) They seem to be more focused on Quicken Essentials, which is very limited compared to Quicken 2007. There are other Mac financial programs, with pros and cons, but none of them seem to have equal features compared to Quicken Windows at this point.

Another option is to run Windows on your Mac. You have the option of Boot Camp (built into your Mac), Parallels or VM Ware. (I think there's another program that is more limited that works with some programs - can't remember the name.) With Boot Camp you have to boot into Windows separately - with Parallels or VM Ware you can run Windows at the same time as the Mac OS. I have Parallels running on my MacBook, and even though my computer is from 2008, Parallels runs very well. It was extremely easy to install and run - I don't think you'll have any issues even as a Mac newbie. The main disadvantage is that if you don't have a copy of Windows, you have to buy a copy which is quite expensive. But that may not be an issue for you since you are coming from Windows.

Or you can buy a second computer as wadigo suggests.

Karen

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62132 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/27/2013 8:06 PM
For several years Intuit has produced Tubo Tax you don't even need to buy two separate programs because the same disk will run on my Mac or my PC. The program looks almost the same on both computers. Why after so many years can they not do a similar thing for Quicken?

Author: DejaVu04 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62133 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/27/2013 8:19 PM
thank you wadigo and Karen, I think you both are correct the easiest solution is to run Quicken on a separate computer. Great idea...why didn't I think of that.
Thank you very much for your help.
Deja

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62134 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/27/2013 10:37 PM
For several years Intuit has produced Tubo Tax you don't even need to buy two separate programs because the same disk will run on my Mac or my PC.

They are two separate programs, even if they're both on the same disk.

I can't say for sure, but from reading interviews with Intuit, it seems like they believe that most Mac users will be happy with Quicken Essentials. The stereotype about Mac users is that they're simple people who prefer simple programs. My elderly aunt is switching to Mac, and I think she'd be perfect for Quicken Essentials - something like Quicken for Windows would just confuse her. Quicken Essentials is kind of Mac like in that it's very simple to use - it reminds me a bit of Bento or iTunes, for example. It guides you down a narrow path and basically fills in the blanks for you. But it lacks more advanced features.

When there was a backlash about Quicken 2007 not working under Lion, Quicken did go back and upgrade their program to work with the new operating system. So it is possible. But my guess is that Intuit made the program hard to find in order to see how many Mac users were really motivated to seek it out - were there a lot of people who wanted that functionality, or were there just a few people who spoke loudly? I'm guessing in the end there weren't that many, or Intuit would make it easier to find on their web site. I'm afraid at some point Intuit will decide that the Mac market just isn't big enough for them to invest in both Quicken Essentials and full Quicken - and they seem to really love Essentials.

Karen

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62135 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/28/2013 2:34 AM
For several years Intuit has produced Tubo Tax you don't even need to buy two separate programs because the same disk will run on my Mac or my PC. The program looks almost the same on both computers. Why after so many years can they not do a similar thing for Quicken?

i've often wondered that ... always guessed it had to do with separate development histories and maybe still separate groups

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboTax
looks like TurboTax was developed separately, & bought Macintax early on ... therefore a commitment to both OS's.

then Intuit developed Quicken etc, then bought Turbotax and never really merged the two groups.

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62138 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/28/2013 2:14 PM
I installed Windows XP & VmWare on my iMac for one purpose only - that was to use Quicken!! I too did not want to give up Quickenand I was using very old version, which I didn't update since I didn't need the on-line functions (I use my bank to pay bills)and I didn't want to spend the $.

As for complications - well, I'm not, in spite of years and years of using one, very computer-savy. I had to purchase Windows (as you have to do whether using VmWare or Parallels) and I had to purchase VmWare. I don't like the tech support from VmWare,mostly because I have a great deal of trouble understanding them - perhaps most of the tech are from India - that plus just the technical aspects of the program were hard to get set up for me, initially.

Since then, I've had no problems and its a lot easier to go from VmWare to the Apple programs than it would be in Parallels. I don't have to shut down and restart and I believe one has to do so with Parallels.

That being said, my old Quicken (2004 deluxe) is finally showing its age....just a bit buggy now and I've heard that Quicken for Mac is not that great a product. I didn't buy it for that reason....I' still using the windows version on the VmWare side of my machine - yes, you can use bot sides of the machine - the Mac side and the Windows side just working with the different
windows and not closing either of them. However, I have recently downloaded and installed (still on a 30 day trial) iBank onto my iMac. its not as sophisticated a Quicken, however, during this testing period, I have not found anything yet which would stop me from using it solely and in place of Quicken - right now I'm still having some difficulty understanding and learning a new software program, but I am making progress.

Hope this info is helpful to you....

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62140 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/28/2013 2:20 PM
Since then, I've had no problems and its a lot easier to go from VmWare to the Apple programs than it would be in Parallels. I don't have to shut down and restart and I believe one has to do so with Parallels.

I think you're confusing Parallels and BootCamp. Parallels is functionally equivalent to VMWare. They are very similar programs, and do things in very similar ways. I've only played with VMWare, but I am a regular (if reluctant) user of Parallels. If there are Windows apps that you use on a frequent basis, you can set up Parallels so the apps work almost like OS X apps. Not the UI of the app, but the app can sit in the dock like OS X apps and have it's own windows on the screen with little or none of the "Windows" UI showing. I think VMWare does things similary.

With BootCamp, you do need to shut down and restart.

Another alternative, which does not require purchasing a Windows license, is to use Crossover.

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62143 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/28/2013 4:59 PM
You're correct - I always get the 2 confused - maybe because I only have used VmWare ;( It IS BootCamp which requires the re-start...sorry..

Also last I checked Crossover would not work with Quicken.....does it now?

thx

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62144 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/28/2013 5:50 PM
Also last I checked Crossover would not work with Quicken.....does it now?

The user reports on the CodeWeavers site say Quicken works pretty well, not perfectly. You'd have to dig through the reports to see where the issues are and if they effect you. From the quick look I took, I think most of the issues are with software updates to the app, which isn't that surprising because of the emulated Windows environment.

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62151 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/30/2013 8:13 AM
Tuni, I hope you see this. I just completed the upgrade from Quicken 2004 to Quicken 2007.

HOWEVER - you cannot import the data directly from 2004 to 2007. You can import from Quicken Essentials to Quicken 2007, so what one has to do is to first buy, install Essentials, convert the Quicken 2004 data to Essentials, then buy and install the Quicken 2007, then import the Quicken Essentials data into Quicken 2007.

That means the whole thing costs about $50, not $15. I did find a copy of Quicken Essentials on eBay cheaper, tho. I wanted to try Quicken Essentials, but I didn't like it. The interface was too busy, cluttered looking to me, and one thing bugged the life out of me - you have to enter decimal points in every entry (other versions of Quicken, 2004 and 2007, will put them in for you).

Hope this helps,

Rita

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62152 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/30/2013 8:44 AM
HOWEVER - you cannot import the data directly from 2004 to 2007. You can import from Quicken Essentials to Quicken 2007, so what one has to do is to first buy, install Essentials, convert the Quicken 2004 data to Essentials, then buy and install the Quicken 2007, then import the Quicken Essentials data into Quicken 2007.

I have very simple accounts in Quicken, so this might not work for more complicated data. But I was able to export my data as a QIF file from Quicken 2001, and then import it directly into Quicken 2007. It was a little more time consuming because I had to export each account separately, but it worked fine - everything imported OK, even my split transactions. However, I just have basic bank/credit accounts, no investments or anything like that.

Karen

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62153 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 1/30/2013 8:53 AM
Karen, that's interesting - the support page FAQ for Quicken 2007 clearly states that file conversion for 2004 and earlier versions is not possible. I didn't try. Here's the page:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/lion-compatible-quick...

Not everything of mine converted, tho. I had to go in and reset the automatic transactions, for example. I'm like you, nothing complex is in there, just my checking account.

Rita

Author: ev1584 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62161 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 2/3/2013 12:29 PM
I have been running Quicken 2007 on Leopard 10.5 for 4 years. I have purchased a new imac with Mountain Lion and was instructed by Apple to transfer data via Time Machine to new computer. I did that and the $ on the dock had slash through it. When I clicked the icon the box with message that application could not run because of no support with Power PC. With above discussion as a guide I downloaded new Quicken 2007 for Mac. The program runs with Mountain Lion but all data from Time Machine is blocked with the $ slashed. I then returned to my old computer and hooked up the external drive(time Machine) and all of my accounts and data are gone and Time Machine looks empty although it still works on the new computer (except for blocked $ and microsoft office (also slashed). Does anyone have a solution?

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62163 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 2/3/2013 1:16 PM
Do you still have your data on your old machine (with Time Machine DISCONNECTED ? If so, copy all of your data onto two or three thumb drives and put them in the desk drawer until you get things figured out.

Serious warning to all Quicken users: Have several copies of your data that are not near your machine. Thumb (USB) drives are cheap in comparison to a loss of data.

Ted

Author: ev1584 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62166 of 65527
Subject: Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date: 2/3/2013 2:59 PM
Nothing there. I was under the mistaken impression backing up to the external hard drive was enough of a backup.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement