UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tmackfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27821  
Subject: Quicken accounting Date: 10/26/1999 8:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have to start over with my Drip port on Quicken because the tech guy working on my computer erased it. I only have to go back to March, so at least it's not years. Another lesson - make backup files!

Would you recommend tracking all stocks in one portfolio, or tracking each stock seperate? Just wondering on the pros and cons.

Taylor
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mikesea Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10885 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/26/1999 9:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Not that this helps much now . . . but you can make Quicken automatically remind you to backup the session you just completed. If you don't regularly backup your whole drive, you can just keep a floppy handy and pop it in when Quicken prompts you to save. There's a checkbox in the preferences section where you can do this.

Just my 02. ;)

Mike

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10888 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/26/1999 10:17 PM
I keep all of my Drips in one portfolio for each person that I drip for. I also keep a separate port for my FF as well as IRA's.

Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10889 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/26/1999 11:10 PM
Been there, done that.
You ask such interesting questions. OH yes.
I don't have Quicken 2000 so it might been better. But the Port. feature is lacking. Here is why.
Lets say you automatically have 15% for 401k. And you have four investments. (Same if they are four DRIPs)
You can setup a tranaction to automatically go to the stocks. You have to setup transaction to port. category and then go in and manual enter each transaction separately. This is a really pain. Ain't alot of automatation. Now they may have improved it. And other problems is money market accounts inside a portofilo. Port. did/doesn't let you write checks. So I use prot. by account types. compny xxx401k port, all my drips are indivdual stocks.

Author: beejous Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10891 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/26/1999 11:37 PM
<< Would you recommend tracking all stocks in one portfolio, or tracking each stock seperate? Just wondering on the pros and cons. >>

Taylor,

I have just set up one account in Quicken for all of my four DRiPs. It cuts down on the clutter in my accounts lists, shows me the total value of my DRiP Port since it totals it all into one account, yet on the "Portfolio" screen it itemizes each security for you and your percentage gain/loss.

Bryan in Birmingham

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10892 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/27/1999 8:58 AM
Recommendations: 2
mp:

I really do not see where it is a pain to go over to the portfolio and enter your purchases. After all, it does not occur on the same day as you send the check. I spend maybe all of 30 minutes weekly dealing with Quicken and it handles all of my banking, investments, and cash which I track daily. Maybe I am kind of anal with it, but the time certainly is not a factor in this endeavor. I simply do the Quicken items first, tehn log on to TMF to see what is happening. All it takes in my mind is a sound system that you can live with. Nothing is perfect, but all tracking methods take some manner of time.

Jenn

Author: mto01 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10893 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/27/1999 12:42 PM
jkrou,

You responded:
I keep all of my Drips in one portfolio for each person that I drip for. I also keep a separate port for my FF as well as IRA's.

By portfolio, do you mean Quicken Account? i.e.-You created a quicken account and then log the purchase of the various DRIP stocks inside it?

Thanks,
mto

Author: fishlip181 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10898 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/27/1999 7:25 PM
MTO

Yes.

Check out post #7188. It includes FAQ hyperlinks to various Quicken topics.

Seems like Item #2 of this post should help answer your question.

Good luck!

Fishlip:)

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10902 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/27/1999 8:32 PM
mto:

Right,I have a separate portfolio for each group that I invest in.

Jenn

Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10904 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/27/1999 8:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
I can't write checks in my port. can you?
And I can split transactions to different catergories but when I split to port. I can't go to the stock I want to credit. The result being the port value is alway incorrect and just try to reconcile it.
the version I am using is really lacking. Maybe 2000 handles it better or I don't understand how to do it.
Here is an example
$450 goes to 401k
20% to fund A
20% to fund B
25% to fund C
35% to fund D.
From my paycheck i have an expense to 401k.
Then I have to go manual move the money to each fund. I should be able to do something like [401k][fund A] within my paycheck transaction.

Author: fishlip181 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10909 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/28/1999 7:35 AM
If I understand your questions...you contribute $450 to your 401k further split into 4 different mutual funds.

(1) Set up your 401k as one account in Quicken.

(2) When you enter your pay check into a Quicken checking account (either bank, mutual fund, stock brokerage, whatever), designate all $450 to your 401k account in Quicken. This will leave a "cash balance" of $450 in your 401k account in Quicken.

(3) Once you have transactions to record in your 401k account, record the 4 different mutual fund purchases within that single 401k account. Your "cash balance" $450 should reduce to "zero."

You can then track your 401k performance by itself as a separate portfolio.

Good luck.

Author: fishlip181 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10912 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/28/1999 7:40 AM
Mphipps

Also. Make sure you setup your 401k account as an "asset" not expense account. When you split your 401k contributions from your paycheck entry in Quicken to an "expense" account, your net worth will be improperly understated.

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10915 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/28/1999 10:26 AM
mp:

If I am understanding you correctly, you have a single 401 account set up with purchases of four funds within it, correct? If so, then your entry is from your paycheck deposit to split the amount to your 401 for the total amount. When your statement arrives from your 401, then you make the individual purchase entries for each of the funds on the dates that they occurred which will zero out the corresponding cash for that month or quarterly reporting period. It should work and not take much of your time.

Jenn

Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10965 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/30/1999 5:00 PM
As a asset or a portfolio account?

Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10966 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/30/1999 5:05 PM
Yes guys and gals I know this. What I would like is not to have to go to the portfolio account and have to remember that 20% goes to this stock and 30% to that fund. I would like to enter it in the check transaction and then just update the price and zap its done. If know the price of the fund the day the money is taken out.
I am complaining about having to make all those tranactions. It does get time comsuming and then I don't do it for a long time and then the balance don't match. AnAnAnaAnaaAnANANANANANANANANd.

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10973 of 27821
Subject: Re: Quicken accounting Date: 10/30/1999 9:00 PM
mp:

As a bean counter, I can tell you that there are not any software apps out there worth the money to purchase for your style of 401 accounting. There are a couple but I doubt you are interested in paying several hundred dollars for them for this single purpose.

What I think you could do, is download George's spreadsheet and tweak it with some sourec code to do the split price entries for you.

Jenn

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement